Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved my used set of Sport crossrails from Ebay on Friday. As I'm looking at them, I'm wondering....................How does the lock keep anyone from unbolting these things off your roof? If you look at the pics (sry for crappy cell pics), you can see the allen head screws that let you adjust/remove the rails from the roof. So, how does the lock actually prevent this? Or, am I missing a piece or something? :ugh2:

BTW- There were no keys, so I'll have to have a set made.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It really doesn't, but you should have some rubber trim piece that goes in the slot the full length of the rail and hides the screws. Also that's not a standard screw, it takes a security allen wrench, the type with a hole in the middle. Look closer at the screw, there is a stem sticking up in the middle of the allen hex hole.

·
2,248 Posts
This picture shows the sliding strips that cover the open slot on top of the bars.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Did you not get the allen wrench, keys, or rubber strip in the center?
Mine came with 4 keys. When the end is unlocked, the key does not
come out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This picture shows the sliding strips that cover the open slot on top of the bars.

O.k., now I get it. I did not get the "key" or the strips. I'll have to come up with something to slide in there. I got them for $70 so I can't complain too much, LOL.

It really doesn't, but you should have some rubber trim piece that goes in the slot the full length of the rail and hides the screws. Also that's not a standard screw, it takes a security allen wrench, the type with a hole in the middle. Look closer at the screw, there is a stem sticking up in the middle of the allen hex hole.
Yep, I see what you're saying.........I think I have set at work.

Did you not get the allen wrench, keys, or rubber strip in the center?
Mine came with 4 keys. When the end is unlocked, the key does not
come out.
Nope, got them used with no keys or strips. i think I can get the local locksmith to make me a set off the tumbler. If not, are all keys the same?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you don't have one at work, you may be able to make one if you have a soft allen wrench, or order one. Last choice would be to replace the bolts with standard bolts. If someone really wants these cross members and what you have mounted to them, the locks or the special bolts ain't going to deter them...........

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a lock smith get me new keys. There are numbers on the lock he was able to look up and made a few different types of keys and one of them worked. The locks really don't protect it.
Good to know they can make a set. Did you take the whole rail to them or just the end cap? My issue is that the end caps are on and locked and no keys.

If you don't have one at work, you may be able to make one if you have a soft allen wrench, or order one. Last choice would be to replace the bolts with standard bolts. If someone really wants these cross members and what you have mounted to them, the locks or the special bolts ain't going to deter them...........

Exactly, if they want it.......they'll get it. I havn't looked yet but most likely I won't have the size I need. I think I'll just replace the allen heads with standard ones.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
lol yeah all those locks do is "keep honest people honest".

If someone really wants whats on your roof rack, a cheap battery powered sawzaw will make quick work of it for them and take less time then un-threading those bolts.

Kind of like the premise behind "The Club". It literally takes less than 10 seconds to cut off a section of the steering wheel thereby rendering The Club useless. It's just a deterrent.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed my crossrails tonight mainly to get them out of the spare bedroom (got tired of hearing about it).

I took a drive to the store and man, what a loud wind noise I was getting. I assume its because I don't have the rubber strips installed.

My question is......is it possible to just purchase these strips? I tried to make my own but, there is no way of holding them in place. I assume that the original strips are molded and slide in from one side. There is no way to make an aluminum strip without tooling, I tried.

I come to you guys for any ideas you might have. Maybe someone can snap a pick of the strip for me to see how its made.

Thanks, Caleb

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I will take some pics for you, when it thaws! It's 8deg right now so I may
wait until tomorrow. They are noisy anyway. Have you put your rack on top?
That may quiet them.

What about weather stripping from doors? Check a home depot or lowes for
some weather stripping.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, no worries bro. Don't freeze on the count of me, maybe it was all the wind we had yesterday. This morning wasn't so bad with the noise, in fact I almost didn't even notice it.

no basket yet.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do all Commander crossrails have locks??? I've never noticed any on mine.....but I wasn't looking for it either. Have to check later.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, there is a standard bar with "knobs" and then there are the "sport" bars that have the locks.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I installed my crossrails tonight mainly to get them out of the spare bedroom (got tired of hearing about it). I took a drive to the store and man, what a loud wind noise I was getting. I assume its because I don't have the rubber strips installed.
Is it possible you put them on backwards? The standard bars have a little airfoil on the leading edge of one side and this has to face forward, to keep the noise to a minimum. In looking at the pictures, your sport bars appear to have the same airfoil, but it is hard to be certain. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it possible you put them on backwards? The standard bars have a little airfoil on the leading edge of one side and this has to face forward, to keep the noise to a minimum. In looking at the pictures, your sport bars appear to have the same airfoil, but it is hard to be certain. :eek:rangehat:
Yes, they are in the correct way. I saw those airfoils, then noticed arrows with writing on the bottom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts