Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Follow-up to my message from last night....
Sport Utility Bars are not functional and for the most part, appear to be completely incompatible.

I have spent better part of the day trying to find a manufacturer that has any type of adapter kit to work with these sport utility bars and have had zero luck.

Same thing happened this spring when trying to connect a cargo box.
Luckily, I was able to purchase an accessory for $60 thru Mopar in order to utilize the cargo box.

But, for kayaks....forget it.
There does not appear to be any way to transport 2 kayaks at the same time using the mopar sport utility bars.
Mopar does not have a product, and from what I can tell, neither does Thule, Yakima, Rhino, or Malone Roof-Rack systems.

What a waste... I am glad they came with my Commander when I purchased it used and I hadn't paid extra...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have you seen the Mopar page? They have all the accessories made specifically for the sport bars, including Kyak mounts & a cargo box. Click Carriers & cargo hauling. http://www.mopar.com/m_acc_cat_part.jsp

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunately, doesn't support 2

Thanks for ideas/suggestions, but unfortunately, the mopar product only supports 1 kayak. I am looking for some type of transport for 2 kayaks.
Most manufacturers make a j-cradle type rack that allows you to put the kayak on its side, thus allowing you to carry 2 kayaks at once.

Mopar does not have this.
The 1 option they do have would only allow one kayak.

Problem is...due to the thickness/width of the sport utility bars (2" deep by 4" wide from front-to-back), none of the other manufacturer's products will work with the sport utility bar.
Reason being, the connecting hardware will not support.
Most places have some type of accesory to provide longer screws to overcome the depth issue, but none seem to have anything that is 4" wide.

I will keep searching and let anyone know what I find out.

Ironically enough, the factory cross rails would work...
Just don't want to drop the money to purchase new cross rails.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I see what your saying - the bars are not wide enough to put two of those kyak mounts up there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts