Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much marital discussion (after all, it is "her" jeep) we have agreed on the following mods:
Larger rims/tires (already have, not yet installed)
rock sliders that double as side steps
2" lift kit
CAI
Cat-back exhaust

Now, I thought that was the order of the mods. The only reason the tires came first was because I received an offer I could not refuse. They can wait in the garage for the lift.

The one thing she really wants is a side-step kit. I have convinced her that a combo rock slider/side step kit is the way to go. I was sure that would be the next mod.

BUT...

Today as we were planning out mods, this conversation happened:

She: "We have to get the lift kit first."

Me (clueles): "Why?"

She: "Because we need the lift kit installed to figure out how high to put the side rails."

Me (speechless).

Now, I've been married 15 years, so I probably already know the answer.
But...
Do I go ahead and get the lift kit first (what I want) and then "measure" the correct height for the side rails?
or
Do I get the side rails?

Deadline: Baby #2 is due the end of May, siderails/steps must be installed by then.

WWOJD?

(What would other jeepers do?)

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
List first so you know how high to put the rails...........
She may be thinking the rail will help her to step into the lifted jeep.
At any rate, I suggest you let her have that one...........Then you can add the tires!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rails first - she is getting more pregnant every day, correct? and she already wants the step up. Make it a little easier for her.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would say sliders/rails first, so it is easier for her to step up. Better tires should be the next thing (actually usually the first mod you should make to a stock truck for wheelin), then your lift/armour/winch ect...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Do the lift like she wants.

While it lifted put the wheels on.

Steps/sliders next.

Side note:

I know where you are coming from on "wife logic".

Once while waiting in traffic at a draw bridge over Shark River in Belmar, NJ, my wife said "I don't know why they don't just dredge the area under the bridge."

·
Registered
686 Posts
Show her how the steps install while finding a diplomatic way to tell her they are independent of the lift - only danger is when she realizes the steps will be about as high as the 'unlifted' Jeep after the lift (maybe a bit higher). Hopefully she realizes the steps are a way to get additional foot ledge outside the Jeep and not a way to make the ground closer.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Are you getting sliders, or are you getting running boards? Sliders aren't for stepping on, and as others have said, only install one way. The running boards only install one way too, so I just don't understand what she's talking about with the whole "so we know where to put them". But, it's her jeep, do the lift first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You have a wife that wants to add stuff to a Jeep, so quit moaning. I get "you want to spend how much on what" and / or "we don't need that."

My wife claims my TJ is a death trap and won't ride in it anymore. It's like living with Ralph Nader. Of course, it was cool when we were dating. At least I get to keep it.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
There is no adjusting the height of the rails. They just mount to the vehicle and that is it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UberCommander said:
What do she mean by "figure out how high to put the side rails"? They only have one way they go on. What rails are you looking to buy.

I would do the rails first.
Just to clarify, I KNOW that they all only go on one way, that's what I was trying to get across to her. I'm leaning towards the RR supersliders. I have nerf bars on my TJ (courtesy of the former owner) and she doesn't like them. She just wants something that sticks out a little bit so she can get a foot up.

Today she told me, "get the lift, I want those new tires on". She is really getting in to the Jeep idea.

You have a wife that wants to add stuff to a Jeep, so quit moaning. I get "you want to spend how much on what" and / or "we don't need that."

My wife claims my TJ is a death trap and won't ride in it anymore. It's like living with Ralph Nader. Of course, it was cool when we were dating. At least I get to keep it.
I love that post. I should count my blessings. But don't discount the TJ as unsafe. I've seen a TJ involved in a t-bone collision with a mid-size pickup. The TJ hit the pickup in the driver side door, then continued on down the road about a quarter mile without a front axle. The driver of the TJ was unhurt.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You and I both have a lucky wife. It was actually my wife, that convinced me into getting a Jeep a few years ago while she was my girlfriend. At that time, I knew the Jeep to be more of a farm vehicle as that is how my grandparents used theirs. I didn't see it as a daily driver. Now, with the XK, which is hers (the LJ is long gone, long story), she said to armor it up, then lift it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts