Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about the Sprint Booster for the DBW gas pedal? Was wondering if anyone has put one on there Commander?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'll try,
Whether it is cable controlled or ECM (electronic) controlled, the actual throttle plate position is measured as a percentage, from 0% to 100%
This measuring component is the TPS, or, Throttle Position Sensor.
The Sprint Booster is piggybacked in line with the TPS.
It alters that signal sent to the ECM by telling it the throttle is open more than it really is.
So, without the Booster, a given throttle position may be read as 25% open.
With the Booster, the signal is altered to be interpeted as, say, 35%.
The feeling, from the 'seat of the pants dyno' is a performance improvement.
The reality is, it makes the throttle a bit more 'coarse' for lack of a better word.
Stock, the TPS reading would require the throttle to be against the floor to achieve 100% open information.
With the Sprint Booster, the signal of 100% open may be achieved with the pedal at 85% of travel......the last 15% of travel does nothing except open the throttle plate further.

There have been TPS signal altering devices on the market for many years.....Sprint Booster is the only one that has done any advertising lately so I hear the question more often in the last year or so.

Rob

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've never heard of such a beast, but thanks Robby for an excellant lesson. You never know what you might learn on this site.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
What does that mean? This is completely out of my sphere of reality.
What is a booster and why would you want it?

Who thinks it is a good idea to broach this subject in front of the children?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, Robby. Now has anyone put one on a Commander with a Hemi? Would like to put one on mine but Sprint does not show one for it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
What does that mean? This is completely out of my sphere of reality.
What is a booster and why would you want it?

Who thinks it is a good idea to broach this subject in front of the children?

I don't have one so I don't know from experience. Robby's writeup is excellent, but in more layman's terms, the guys on the Solstice forum that have Sprint Boosters say it perceptiably reduces the response time between when you floor it and when the rubber starts to burn as you lay a patch in a cloud of tire smoke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Contacted Sprint, they did not have a booster for the Commander, and they asked me to send in a picture of my gas pedal and its connection. So I did and they told me it was the same as the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee. So I bought a booster and it is the best and easyest to install performance item I have ever purchased. It relly made my Hemi come to life !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Contacted Sprint, they did not have a booster for the Commander, and they asked me to send in a picture of my gas pedal and its connection. So I did and they told me it was the same as the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee. So I bought a booster and it is the best and easyest to install performance item I have ever purchased. It relly made my Hemi come to life !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Do you have a direct link to the one you purchased ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve is the person who replied to me from Sprint, I went to their web site and sent in a message on their "contact us". You can do that or send Steve a email, I promis he will be glad to help you and be sure to mention you heard it from M. Graham!!!!! :ugh2:Steve Stavrianos <[email protected]>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts