Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of grabbing a brush guard to further accent my vehicle. Looking on eBay, I found a cheaper one at about $140, and it's black. I don't plan on getting functionality out of this, only looks. In this case, would going cheap not be a problem? From what I can tell, it's stainless steel just like all the rest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-11-JEEP-COMMANDER-BULL-BAR-PUSH-GRILLE-BRUSH-GUARD-BLACK-COATED-/140683472840

The install also appears to be fairly simple. I'm going to go ahead and buy it, hoping for the best.

Anyone have an opinion on this kind? A search result didn't yield anything about Spyder ones.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What brand is yours? How much did you pay?

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you buy the Spyder? If so how is it? I am looking to get a Bull Bar myself and have seen a few with no brand names for cheap and I am not sure about them. I would like the Westin but not sure I can front that kind of money right now.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it to fit fairly well, it just took some modification. Had to grind down one of the mounting plates that the bolts screw into above the frame, and had to remove my front license plate holder. It was still a snug fit at the bottom against the bumper itself. Definitely a two-man job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got it to fit fairly well, it just took some modification. Had to grind down one of the mounting plates that the bolts screw into above the frame, and had to remove my front license plate holder. It was still a snug fit at the bottom against the bumper itself. Definitely a two-man job.
Ok, thanks for the info. Is there any way you can post some pics of it? Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I can get some better ones if you'd like. These were before I did the fix to make it fit 100% properly.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I can get some better ones if you'd like. These were before I did the fix to make it fit 100% properly.
Cool, thanks. What was wrong with it in these pics that it wasnt sitting 100%? Will I have to make the same modifications? I think it looks pretty good, how is the paint finish? Does it come with predrilled light holes?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Cool, thanks. What was wrong with it in these pics that it wasnt sitting 100%? Will I have to make the same modifications? I think it looks pretty good, how is the paint finish? Does it come with predrilled light holes?
I had to remove the license plate holder in order to get it close enough to the frame so all 4 bolts could be used there. The mounting hardware basically consists of this:

Brackets, somewhat L shaped (attach to the guard itself and the frame)
Mounting plates (sit above the holes in the frame, bolts screw in here)
Bolts/washers (frame mounting is through the bracket first, then the frame holes, then the mounting plate where the bolts begin to tighten everything together). Bolts are all 5/8's.

The bolts used for mounting the brackets to the guard and the frame are different sizes, so take note of that. There are 8 total. You'll use a regular washer and a spring washer with every bolt as well (all same size).

Black = frame
Green = drilled brackets
Blue = mounting plates (the nuts that the bolts screw into are part of the plates themselves, so everything must line up... and it can get tough to do. That's where I had to grind down the side of one of the plates because it was pushing out too far and not lining up with one of the holes on the frame. Whether you have to do this or not, I'm not sure. Just place the mounting plates over the frame holes and see if they line up, otherwise you'll have to fix it).

How I did it was we bolted the brackets to the guard, but did not tighten 100%. You may need to move them around to get the other holes to line up with the frame and plates. Once we did this, one person held the guard up while the other got underneath and had to pull down a bit on the lower bumper to get the brackets in while they were mounted to the guard (there isn't enough room to mount them afterwards due to how close it sits to the bumper, unless you use a very small angled wrench or something). Once we squeezed it in there, we hand-screwed in the bolts one by one. At this point, you may need to move the brackets around a little bit to get the holes to line up (it's 3 sets of holes for each bolt: bracket, frame, then mounting plate). Once we got them in, ratcheted the bolts down tight and were finally done. It took way longer than it should have, that's for sure.

There shouldn't be any need to remove the bumper unless you have to take off the license plate holder. There won't be much room at all to work with, so try to get as small of a socket and ratchet as you can.

As for mounting off-road lights, I'm not too sure. I know there are some rubber circular things, possibly plugs, located on the top of the guard and on the middle. They definitely look like they would be used for mounting lights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had to remove the license plate holder in order to get it close enough to the frame so all 4 bolts could be used there. The mounting hardware basically consists of this:

Brackets, somewhat L shaped (attach to the guard itself and the frame)
Mounting plates (sit above the holes in the frame, bolts screw in here)
Bolts/washers (frame mounting is through the bracket first, then the frame holes, then the mounting plate where the bolts begin to tighten everything together). Bolts are all 5/8's.

The bolts used for mounting the brackets to the guard and the frame are different sizes, so take note of that. There are 8 total. You'll use a regular washer and a spring washer with every bolt as well (all same size).

Black = frame
Green = drilled brackets
Blue = mounting plates (the nuts that the bolts screw into are part of the plates themselves, so everything must line up... and it can get tough to do. That's where I had to grind down the side of one of the plates because it was pushing out too far and not lining up with one of the holes on the frame. Whether you have to do this or not, I'm not sure. Just place the mounting plates over the frame holes and see if they line up, otherwise you'll have to fix it).

How I did it was we bolted the brackets to the guard, but did not tighten 100%. You may need to move them around to get the other holes to line up with the frame and plates. Once we did this, one person held the guard up while the other got underneath and had to pull down a bit on the lower bumper to get the brackets in while they were mounted to the guard (there isn't enough room to mount them afterwards due to how close it sits to the bumper, unless you use a very small angled wrench or something). Once we squeezed it in there, we hand-screwed in the bolts one by one. At this point, you may need to move the brackets around a little bit to get the holes to line up (it's 3 sets of holes for each bolt: bracket, frame, then mounting plate). Once we got them in, ratcheted the bolts down tight and were finally done. It took way longer than it should have, that's for sure.

There shouldn't be any need to remove the bumper unless you have to take off the license plate holder. There won't be much room at all to work with, so try to get as small of a socket and ratchet as you can.

As for mounting off-road lights, I'm not too sure. I know there are some rubber circular things, possibly plugs, located on the top of the guard and on the middle. They definitely look like they would be used for mounting lights.

Awesome, thanks for all the detail. This has really helped me in my decision making. Ill post pics once I decide for sure what I am getting. If you have a few pics to post of the bull bar after you made the modifications that would be great.

:IThankYou:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got the Spyder Bull Bar finally. I am very happy with it and I spent $130 with shipping. I was not happy with the thickness and quality of the paint from the factory so I applied bed liner. Here is a few pics before and after. Installation was pretty easy but does require 2 people. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was also looking at the spyder but couldn't get much help from the seller on eBay. Would you measure the height between the top bar and the middle bar please? I want to try to understand how much room there's for off road lights.

What will you do with the front license plate? Can it be placed on the bar?

Thanks and both look great!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was also looking at the spyder but couldn't get much help from the seller on eBay. Would you measure the height between the top bar and the middle bar please? I want to try to understand how much room there's for off road lights.

What will you do with the front license plate? Can it be placed on the bar?

Thanks and both look great!
The height between the bars is about 9 inches give or take. I took the plate off and just stuck it in the glove box. It will not fit with the bar and I didnt want to cheapen the look of the bar by hanging it from it. You could mount it on the bar if you wanted but I dont like that look. Its a solid bull bar for the money and I would recommend repainting or using bed liner. The bed liner is a solid choice if you keeping it black because it will prevent chips and rust. Thanks!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts