Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple months my commander has been having some squeaky breaks. Usually it only does it when i first start to hit the breaks. I've been driving with it for awhile but its starting to get annoying and i really dont want to take it somewhere when there has to be something a not so mechanically intelligent guy can do to fix this. Anybody have any ideas or quick fixes?

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
Nezz said:
For the past couple months my commander has been having some squeaky breaks. Usually it only does it when i first start to hit the breaks. I've been driving with it for awhile but its starting to get annoying and i really dont want to take it somewhere when there has to be something a not so mechanically intelligent guy can do to fix this. Anybody have any ideas or quick fixes?
Change the pads to ceramics.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I get the same thing also.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Same here, and I think I am going to use the ceramics now. Depending on cost...

·
Registered
224 Posts
its a jeep...everyone ive owned has had squeaky breaks..part of that "jeep thing"

ceramic pads will solve the problem. If anyone finds a good price on them online post up so we all can get some.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We have the same on ours. Upon rotating the tires, I looked into the problem. Sure enough, it looks like I had a rock get stuck in the brake area once as there was a shallow groove around the entire rotor. I'm not worrying about that until it's time for brakes, for now, we live with the occasional squeak.

·
Registered
282 Posts
mileage? do you tow? ive only got 22k on mine so far. guess its something i should be aware of. sometimes theres not enough stop squeal on the shims from previous cars ive changed. havent taken the xk apart yet to see if they have shims.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine started squeaking after the recall service about six months ago and hasn't stopped since. I am going in for an inspection next week and some other warranty work so I will ask them to take a look at it. I have ~22,000 and have never towed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have noticed that if there is anything stuck in/around/near the caliper and brake pad, you will get an awful squeak or squealing sound. I have found small pebbles, tall grasses and mud stuck in mine before, had to use the pressure washer at the car wash to clean them out good.

I just installed EBC Green Stuff brake pads all around, I think $140 total if you order through AutoAnything and do the install yourself. They sqealed pretty bad from the get go until the seated themselves (took maybe 150 miles or so), but now they are strong brakes and quiet as can be!!

Item Check:
SKU Description Qty Price Estimated Shipping Time Total
2351063 EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads
1 $73.95 Ships by 05/07/2008
Ships via UPS Ground $73.95
2351273 EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads
1 $64.95 Ships by 05/07/2008
Ships via UPS Ground $64.95
Subtotal: $138.90
Shipping: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $138.90

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have about 16,000 miles, and no i dont tow. I mean its not that big of a deal because it really doesnt happen all that too much, and when i have my music blasting i cant even hear it, but i was just wondering. Thank you for the feedback guys, its definitely something i can live with.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i've had squeaky brakes but not squeaky breaks:D :D

mine were doing that for a while after my lift and tires. i got tired of it and just slammed on the brakes. squeal gone. happy man!

i think ever since they did away with asbestos in brakes they have replaced it metal. metal rusts, makes parts squeak. so clean your rotors by using the brakes. it seems to work for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
43000 miles and haven't towed, but do have the tow package.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
RedCommander said:
Replaced front Rotors at 35K. Ceramic pads with lifetime warranty available at your neighborhood AutoZone for 39.95. Rotors were 65 ea. from them I believe. Free shipping...
How can they give a lifetime warranty on brake pads ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts