Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a weird squeak coming from what sounds like the rear axle/diff, it sounds like something is rubbing but I can't see any rubbing and everything looks fine. Attaching a vid incase anyone has run into this before

Have no idea what it is nothing rubbing, only happens when driving forward so maybe diff or rear axles shaft??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Disc brake squeal?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, it's tough to pin down from where exactly its coming from even directly right next to the jeep, soon as I get a moment going to pull off the rear wheels, do some soaking in pb blaster and then spray some brake clean and see, it's either that or possibly one of the rear hub assemblies or something.

·
Administrator
6,934 Posts
Bad rear brakes??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad rear brakes??
Doubtful just had the car inspected but i've been meaning to get a set of new rotors and pads.. I just threw some pads on earlier in the year but we'll see. I'll probably lift her up at some point over the weekend and diagnose will probably get a pair of rear brake pads and a deep brake clean

·
Registered
212 Posts
Frequency of squeaks sounds like more than 3 per tire rotation, so i would be suspecting driveshaft, ujoints, pinion yoke/bearing/seal.
What recent work has been done? Does it go away at speed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Stircrayzy, nothing except for some shocks, but let me tell you a story.. I just got the time to get under there this morning, first I decided to change the rear diff fluid looked fine when I got the jeep but I haven't changed it since then as it looked fine and there were no leaks and well, it's a good place to start.

Well ladies... whoever changed the rear diff fluid last used what is clearly high temp gasket sealer on the inside rim of the cover and then a totally different sealant on the outside rim and it melded together to create a mess. Then on top of that it's fortunate I didn't have a leak because the last gasket bead was still on there.

In any event, took down the cover, drain the fluid which actually looked really dark, i'm questioning myself whether I was distracted or just crazy to believe it was fine and am expecting the worst. However beyond just the dirt everything is looking good, two bottles of brake clean later, things are looking even better.

Take the diff cover for a clean up, wheel brush off the old gasket(s), soap it up and clean it and then dry it and hit it with a coat of high gloss and it's drying.. Back to the rest of the gasket on the diff and it's just gonna be an hour of picking at this goddamn thing with a plastic knife and while doing that I hit the shield for the spare tire and it's bouncing all over the place. I didn't even have to pull on it and it just fell out; every bolt point was rusted away.

Walk inside, order a new spare tire shield, coated the bolts/points in pb blaster so when it gets here i don't have to waste time. While doing all of that, I noticed some drips on the side of the exhaust that looked exactly like orange coolant. Welp!!! One of the rear coolant hoses must be leaking, surprise surprise.

In any event I was excited to see if the noise we heard was from the spare tire carrier rubbing up somehow, someway, somewhere and while waiting for the diff cover to dry went to find some gasket sealer in the garage. No where to be found of course because this is the perfect time to learn you're out of gasket sealant. So.... Jeep is down for the next couple of days because it'd be a 30-40 mile drive to Autozone and I just don't feel like it. Ordering everything on Amazon and when it gets here i'll finish. The saga continues...

Thanks gents for the ideas by the way, not out of the woods yet still going to do a deep brake clean but need to see if it was actually the spare tire carrier that was the noise maker.

Here's some pics of this mornings journey

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wife just reminded me gas is going for 1.95 across from the Autozone... putting my pants on and will update.

·
Administrator
6,934 Posts
Wife just reminded me gas is going for 1.95 across from the Autozone... putting my pants on and will update.
That sounds like a pretty trying saga that you've been going through.....

Reactions: redwolfb14

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got back, did all the work, gasket sealant is drying (90 minutes permatex black), will throw the fluid in another hour or so and then update on whether noise is gone. If not, next weeks chapter involves pulling off the rear tires and cleaning everything. I should probably do new rotors/calipers/fluid the whole 9 yds but I'd need a day to burn and I just don't have it right now... Right and of course, gassed up the wifes jeep.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next weeks saga actually involves pulling off the front tires and cleaning of front calipers. A test drive still had the squeak but it sounded slightly different, the jeep was cold and I barely drove down the driveway so I spritzed water on the front passenger caliper... super hot, decided to test starting a fire and spritzed pb blaster on the back caliper bolts and rotor so I could hear if it squealed .. and jackpot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brakes done, squeak remained. Decided to do some research before replacing the entire back end and started at the driveshafts because it was noted earlier and I didn't really inspect it besides hitting it with some surface grease in the joint areas. Did some research online and it sounds exactly like a ujoint failure. Dug into some old posts around here and supposedly the driveshaft isn't serviceable? @Stircrayzy was right but now I'm probably going to need a new rear driveshaft. Where is everyone getting their driveshafts from? 4xshaft? I noted Automotive Driveshaft Sale - Wholesale Import Parts has driveshafts as well comes ready to go. Any sage advice or wisdom?

·
Administrator
6,934 Posts
Brakes done, squeak remained. Decided to do some research before replacing the entire back end and started at the driveshafts because it was noted earlier and I didn't really inspect it besides hitting it with some surface grease in the joint areas. Did some research online and it sounds exactly like a ujoint failure. Dug into some old posts around here and supposedly the driveshaft isn't serviceable? @Stircrayzy was right but now I'm probably going to need a new rear driveshaft. Where is everyone getting their driveshafts from? 4xshaft? I noted Automotive Driveshaft Sale - Wholesale Import Parts has driveshafts as well comes ready to go. Any sage advice or wisdom?
@redwolfb14;

This is one of the more popular & reputable places Commander owners have gone in the past;

http://www.carolinadriveline.com/Default.aspx.

Reactions: redwolfb14

·
Registered
212 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts