Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My REC Nav unit's disc makes a horrendously annoying squeaking sound, as if there are crickets in there. When it isn't squeaking, it makes a grinding/tapping sound that is quieter, but still annoying. Only removing the disc makes it stop. Searching doesn't seem to bring anything up..

Has anyone else had this problem and found a cure? I've thought about just ripping it out and start tearing into it but I have little idea of what I'm looking for or if I'm going to need replacement parts.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Mine did something similar and it wouldn't always read the dvd. The drive died, and I had it replaced.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine did something similar and it wouldn't always read the dvd. The drive died, and I had it replaced.
Where did you have it replaced? Did you do one of the online send in, repair, they send back type deals? I'm having some trouble locating a place that will repair car stereos locally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any update to this, I have the same issue. Bought the commander used, purchased an extended warranty and dealer said they couldn't "find" anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my radio apart and covered the drive mechanism in WD-40 and cleaned out everything I could get to and it still buzzes constantly and squeaks occasionally. I think a DVD drive replacement is in order. I wouldn't recommend this as it sprayed WD-40 all over the reader lens and I had to clean it off 4-5 times before I stopped getting read errors.

http://replacementradios.com/navigation-dvd-drive-repair-replacement-2004-rec-nav-radio-recdvdr-p-1161.html

I found a place locally that can apparently handle the fix too but they won't quote me a price until I drive an hour to their store for assessment. So we'll see.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had mine replaced by Jimmy Chen who runs a small repair shop out of his house in Oradell, NJ. I'd have to hunt around for his contact info if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It was around $200. I figured that swapping out for something aftermarket would cost me about $1000 for what I would want, so the repair price was fair.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info! Yeah, it's worth whatever it costs, I hate aftermarket stereos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my radio apart and covered the drive mechanism in WD-40 and cleaned out everything I could get to and it still buzzes constantly and squeaks occasionally. I think a DVD drive replacement is in order. I wouldn't recommend this as it sprayed WD-40 all over the reader lens and I had to clean it off 4-5 times before I stopped getting read errors.

http://replacementradios.com/navigation-dvd-drive-repair-replacement-2004-rec-nav-radio-recdvdr-p-1161.html

I found a place locally that can apparently handle the fix too but they won't quote me a price until I drive an hour to their store for assessment. So we'll see.
You have the right idea, but WD40 isn't all that good as a cleaning agent and its the wrong lubricant because WD40 is too thin to lubricate gears and linear slide bearings. It also creeps (spreads) too much and will find its way onto the lens again and again. Use CRC electronics cleaner to clean (and remove the WD40) and follow up on the slide rails and worm drive with "white lube", the plastic compatible teflon loaded grease that's been used for every electronic entertainment media reader since the "compact cassette player". Its not usually available locally for most people and white lithium grease is *not* a substitute. A grease sold at hobby stores for model trains, Labelle 106, is a viable substitute. Labelle 206 for the servos in RC models should also be a viable substitute, but I've never used it.
For the casual readers, be warned, this isn't a casual job. You have to remove the navigation unit from the vehicle and partially disassemble it to clean and lubricate the lens positioning mechanism.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts