Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experianced an anoying squeal from the rear breaks? My XK started making a squeal when I break in city driving .. it is especially noticeable in parking lots.:eek: I mentioned to the dealership and they said - of course :rolleyes: "cannot duplicate" - claiming they drove the XK about 25 miles and could not notice any noise... problem they drove it on a 4 lane rated at 65 MPH!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this problem as well.

I spray-washed the back of the wheels down at the coin wash, and I've tried pumping them, etc. Nothing. Was hoping to try to take care of it myself before having to deal with the dealer. I searched for a TSB regarding this but have not found anything.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
527 Posts
shoreline59 said:
I have this problem as well.

I spray-washed the back of the wheels down at the coin wash, and I've tried pumping them, etc. Nothing. Was hoping to try to take care of it myself before having to deal with the dealer. I searched for a TSB regarding this but have not found anything.

Any suggestions?
Some times semi metallic brakes can glaze up a bit, I suggest you go to an open road with no traffic and do several Hard stops from 60+ MPH.

When you do this dont come to a complete stop and hold the brakes, but take it down to 5mph, let off, accelerate up to 60-70 and then a hard stop again. Do this 3-4 times and you should de-glaze the pads.

The reason NOT to come to a complete stop and hold the brakes after several hard stops like that is the heat build up under the pad/rotor can lead to pre-mature warping of the rotors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts