Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the last few weeks i've noticed a slight squeeking noise near the right rear. it almost sounds like a spring or maybe something rubbing on the spare tire. i haven't crawled under it yet to look.
you can only hear it when going over uneven terrain (backing out of my drieway). it doesn't really make noise hitting potholes, only seems like its when the chassis flexes.
it may have been there since i got it but i've had the sirius cranked:D .
didn't notice it till one day me and my wife were talking and had the radio off.
anyone else have this noise.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Have not seen this problem on this forum yet. I have an 03 Liberty, and some other wheelers have noted this issue when they lift and replace struts/shocks. They usually just have to tighten the rear shock mounts to get rid of the squeak. I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like my problem. i'll check it out and take it in to be repaired.
thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How much did you have to pay for the repair above?? I got a quote after telling them about the service bulletin of $300, and I thought that was crazy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So I'm having a rear squeak when the rear end flexes a bit. I thought it was a seat cushion spring problem or something, didn't think it was a suspension issue. Has anyone done this repair on their own? I have a warranty so I don't want to buy a service manual just to perform this one task and I'm not taking it to a dealer for them to do. Anyone have any pictures or an indication of where these parts are that they are talking about?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
So I'm having a rear squeak when the rear end flexes a bit. I thought it was a seat cushion spring problem or something, didn't think it was a suspension issue. Has anyone done this repair on their own? I have a warranty so I don't want to buy a service manual just to perform this one task and I'm not taking it to a dealer for them to do. Anyone have any pictures or an indication of where these parts are that they are talking about?
Is the noise still there with the seats folded down?
If no, lube the catch rings with a coating of silicone grease (i recommend this because if any gets on upolstry it won't stain).
No blobs, lube as though you were fingerpainting.
If the noise is there after folding the seats, same lube on the door strikers (hoops bolted to body, door latches to them) and also the catch for the hatch and the rear window.
At the same time, a coating on the two rubber/nylon stabilizer blocks on either side of the hatch.

Many steps, but these body lube points should be addressed from time to time as regular maitainence.

Hope that gets it,
Rob

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is the noise still there with the seats folded down?
If no, lube the catch rings with a coating of silicone grease (i recommend this because if any gets on upolstry it won't stain).
No blobs, lube as though you were fingerpainting.
If the noise is there after folding the seats, same lube on the door strikers (hoops bolted to body, door latches to them) and also the catch for the hatch and the rear window.
At the same time, a coating on the two rubber/nylon stabilizer blocks on either side of the hatch.

Many steps, but these body lube points should be addressed from time to time as regular maitainence.

Hope that gets it,
Rob
Ou, folding the seats down. Good idea. I'll try that first before I assume it's the TSB and go replacing suspension parts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow, I folded the seat down behind mine and for 3 days not a single squeak!! Now all I have to do is grease that bad boy up and I shouldn't have any more problems. Thanks again

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you referring to the second row seats needing the grease? I've had my third row seats down since purchasing my XK in November and I am just now really starting to hear this noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts