Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a spacer lift and muds put on my commander around 1-2k miles ago and the front and rear springs squeak like hell now. Probably from the added strain, i dont really care about the sound but the need for them to be replaced is obviously going to come too soon. And i'd rather not find out the hardway and have one fail while im going over a speed bump. Anyone have suggestions for a good set of springs on a 2.5" lift all around? tire size is posted in my sig.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Are you sure that its not the shocks that are making the squeaking noise? I just can't see the springs making noise after getting muddy!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shocks*** my bad. i would like to upgrade the springs at the same time. Any suggestions for both/either?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It is most likely not your springs or shocks. If you did not put any grease on any of the bushings that is most likely the cause of the noise. Buy a can of lithium spray and hit all your bushings front and rear, be sure to clean them off first. Pay attention to the shock mounting points and sway bar links. The spray grease may only be a quick fix if it works at all the best is to unbolt and disconnect all the bushing and slather them up with chassis grease.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all the new equipment that was added was a poly-based plastic composite that does not need lubrication, poly spacers can't squeak, only the metal between/in around them. The metal was not squeaking before they were put on and I've only been mudding once after the lift was. (the previous 3 times, and getting stuck in a foot of mud did not make any of my springs/shocks squeak like mad). It sounds like a load problem, not a grease problem. The higher center of gravity i assume could cause the springs to shift and stress in directions that previously could not have happened, and the range of motion would not have been as much.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
that is true but when the lift was installed the shocks, swaybar links, stut forks and some other things had to be disconnected and reconnected. If those components were not properly greased they could cause various noises. I learned this when I installed my lift and was in a rush and didn't put any grease on anything.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn silly lift kits. well i'll grease em up an see if it helps. If i did want to upgrade my springs and shocks for better off-road quality ne rec's?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
struts springs and shocks I would go Old Man Emu all the way around. They seem to have the best thing going right now.

·
Registered
564 Posts
struts springs and shocks I would go Old Man Emu all the way around. They seem to have the best thing going right now.

I'm with you on this, I have them, and I'm glad I went this way and no with the spacers, more, money, but well worth it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
u have a model/item number?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I never greased any of the bushings when i installed the lift so i might have to do that in the next coupld weeks. I also have noticed a little squeaking but am not all that worried about it since its an off road vehicle!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I never greased any of the bushings when i installed the lift so i might have to do that in the next coupld weeks. I also have noticed a little squeaking but am not all that worried about it since its an off road vehicle!

Did you take care of that noise that you had after your lift?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahaha that's why i'm worried about it, trail failure 60 miles from home is just no fun

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you take care of that noise that you had after your lift?
Well i went to the shop last week and messed around with the driver's side front and disassembled it and put it back together. I also retightened all the bolts and found the drivers side rear upper control arm to be a little loose. Other then that i got the front end aligned saturday at the dealer and have not heard the noise since. It did make the noise once last week though prior to me fixing it when i turned hard right while accellerating fast out of a parking lot. My wife heard it and said it sounded like it came from the middle of the Commander and not the front so who knows. Other then that one time I have really only heard the noise while off roading.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Well i went to the shop last week as messed around with the driver's side front and disassembled it and put it back together. I also retightened all the bolts and found the drivers side rear upper control arm to be a little loose. Other then that i got the front end aligned saturday at the dealer and have not heard the noise since. It did make the noise once last week though prior to me fixing it when i turned hard right while accellerating fast out of a parking lot. My wife heard it and said it sounded like it came from the middle of the Commander and not the front so who knows. Other then that one time I have really only heard the noise while off roading.
Now that you mention that I had the same problem with my upper control arm, after a week I had to retighten in because it was making some wierd noises. It was difficult to locate the source of the noise becasue it was the bolt that mounted to the axle but it transfered through the control arm and sounded like it was under the driverside seats.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So do you think thats the noise that I was hearing. I'd like to test it off road but there really isnt anywhere to go around here. I guess i will find out when we go to Rausch Creek!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I would bet that is the noise you heard. I know that my problems stopped as soon as I tightened up that bolt.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone have a part # on the OME suspension set?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thx,
"I order my parts: front springs OME991, front struts N188S (on back order), rear springs OME993, rear struts N190."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts