Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With tax returns being right around the corner I am looking at some SRT wheels in the next few weeks. I see that they come in 20x9 and 20x10 sizes. Strictly for purposes of rotating my tires I think I would want to stick with a single width size. Any input on if 9" or 10" would be the way to go? Also any advice on a good all season tire for these rims would be awesome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought and installed the same rims. 20X9 at the front and 20X10 backside. Front tires, I used new 255 X 50 X 20 and back tires I used new 275 X 45 X20.... Got all balanced. Ride is smooth from 0 to 100 kmh. Between 100 to 120 kmh I feel vibration in the seats and the steering wheel. Above 120 and the ride is smooth again. Fit of the rims is perfect to the hub thus, no hub rings were necessary... questions..... how do I get rid of the vibration? My upper control arm needs to be replaced due to squeaking sound. Could that be the cause of vibration? Do I need alignment? Appreciate inputs ;_0

·
Registered
31 Posts
Solved the vibration 95%. I dont know if it is me but still feel very little vibration. However I am happier now, much happier. Here is what I did....

Went to the tire shop where I bought em. They replaced the front left tire. Drove off the shop and the vibration is still there. Went to an all around mechanic to put hub rings. Problem is hub to the ring is a perfect fit, no hub ring could fit in betweem. Decided to put electrical tape around the hub ring. Put rim back and since there is a bit of tightness, the rim has to be pushed a bit. Tightened the nuts to the bolt , drove off and I hardly feel any vibration... Hardly.

·
Registered
556 Posts
we all would like to see your XK with the new rims.

·
Registered
556 Posts
they fill the wells nicely.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Aren't the different tire sizes going to lead to an imbalance in wear since you cannot properly rotate them?

I like the wheels, but I'd choose them with a lift and some slightly thicker tires - just my style. Also, my wheels don't perfectly fit around the hub, and the shop who put them on thought rings would be necessary. As it turned out, they aren't on larger vehicles such as ours.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
I just bought and installed the same rims. 20X9 at the front and 20X10 backside. Front tires, I used new 255 X 50 X 20 and back tires I used new 275 X 45 X20.... Got all balanced. Ride is smooth from 0 to 100 kmh. Between 100 to 120 kmh I feel vibration in the seats and the steering wheel. Above 120 and the ride is smooth again. Fit of the rims is perfect to the hub thus, no hub rings were necessary... questions..... how do I get rid of the vibration? My upper control arm needs to be replaced due to squeaking sound. Could that be the cause of vibration? Do I need alignment? Appreciate inputs ;_0
Is your Commander 4WD ? If it is you will tear up your drive train by running tires that have different diameters. That might also be what is causing your vibration.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is your Commander 4WD ? If it is you will tear up your drive train by running tires that have different diameters. That might also be what is causing your vibration.
This is very good information. I really dont know if my commander drives all wheels all the time. I have a T switch beside the transmission stick that activates 4WD. What is your opinion am I driving a rear wheel or an all time 4WD?

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
This is very good information. I really dont know if my commander drives all wheels all the time. I have a T switch beside the transmission stick that activates 4WD. What is your opinion am I driving a rear wheel or an all time 4WD?
Yes, you have full-time 4WD. The T-switch is for engaging 4LO.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
From the Owner's Manual (note: QDII uses the QTII transfer case):

Quadra-Trac II Operating
Instructions/Precautions — If Equipped
The Quadra-Trac II transfer case is fully automatic in the
normal driving 4 HI mode. The Quadra-Trac II transfer
case provides three mode positions — four wheel drive
high range, neutral, and four wheel drive low range.

This transfer case is fully automatic in the 4 HI mode.
This transfer case divides engine torque almost evenly
with 48 percent of engine torque to the front axle and 52
percent of engine torque to the rear axle. When speed
differences are increased between the front and rear drive
shafts, the transfer case can transmit up to 100 percent of
available engine torque to the front or rear drive shafts.

When additional traction is required, the 4 LOW position
can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together
and force the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same
speed. The 4 LOW position is intended for loose, slippery
road surfaces only. Driving in the 4 LOW position on dry
hard surfaced roads may cause increased tire wear and
damage to driveline components.

When operating your vehicle in 4 LOW, the engine speed
is approximately three times that of the 4 HI position at a
given road speed. Take care not to overspeed the engine
and do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h).

Proper operation of four wheel drive vehicles depends on
tires of equal size, type, and circumference on each
wheel. Any difference will adversely affect shifting and
cause damage to the transfer case.

Because four wheel drive provides improved traction,
there is a tendency to exceed safe turning and stopping
speeds. Do not go faster than road conditions permit.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, one final check. I drive a Jeep Commander 2007. 4.7, V8... In Edmund's, it is mentioned that there are two versions. A rear wheel and a 4WD. I never thought mine was a 4WD as I have never seen any indication of that mark nor this Quadra system. Here is my VIN number 1J8HG58N87C537387.....

Before I decide to replace all my tires to the same diameter, meaning i would break the bank..... What would your final opinion be? Do I have rear wheel or a 4 wheel drive?

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
Ok, one final check. I drive a Jeep Commander 2007. 4.7, V8... In Edmund's, it is mentioned that there are two versions. A rear wheel and a 4WD. I never thought mine was a 4WD as I have never seen any indication of that mark nor this Quadra system. Here is my VIN number 1J8HG58N87C537387.....

Before I decide to replace all my tires to the same diameter, meaning i would break the bank..... What would your final opinion be? Do I have rear wheel or a 4 wheel drive?
If you have the silver t-lever on the console then you have a full-time 4WD with 4LO. All Commanders that have 4LO are full-time 4WD. You can not have the 4LO wihout the full-time 4WD (4HI). Sounds like a previous owner may have de-badged it. You can get the build sheet for your vehicle from Chrysler for free. See this thread about telling what 4WD drive system you have if you do not believe me---> http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15592&page=3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for your immediate post. I do believe you of course and thanks very much. Really really appreciate it. I am now talking to the shop where I bought my tires. They said this..... the difference in my front and rear tire diameter is .2 inches and that I should be safe. Would like to have your opinion please ......

Front tires; 255/50/R20 - diameter 30.1 inches
Rear tires; 275/45/R20 - diameter 29.9 inches

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
Thanks for your immediate post. I do believe you of course and thanks very much. Really really appreciate it. I am now talking to the shop where I bought my tires. They said this..... the difference in my front and rear tire diameter is .2 inches and that I should be safe. Would like to have your opinion please ......

Front tires; 255/50/R20 - diameter 30.1 inches
Rear tires; 275/45/R20 - diameter 29.9 inches
If it were my vehicle I would not run two different size tires. It may take a while for damage to occur, but it will happen eventually.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update.... the vibration returned !!! Took out the rims off the hub and found that the electrical tape melted. Took the Commander to a tire shop and they installed a thin plastic/silicon hub ring. Result....... tada dadan dadan......... vibration gone 100 %..... all smooth ride from here on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts