Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since ive had this commander (3 weeks) its gotten terrible mpg. Like 14 on the highway driving like a grandma. And initial acceleration was sluggish. Needed to press on the gas for it to actually accelerate. But no check engine lights or anything. A week ago I noticed the air intake temp sensor was gummed up with carbon and the trottle was caked with Crap. I took a dry paper towel and wiped what I could. Instantly jeep is more responsive and getting closer to 18 mpg highway. At first i was like YES issues solved....well then i started getting low and high idle check engine lights after a little bit. I figured it was either to much of a change for the computer or the throttle was still to gunked up. So today I removed the throttle and cleaned it very well. No buildup what so ever. I cleaned the sensor a little more aswell and for good measure I seafoamed the engine because there was also alot more carbon in the manifold. Now its still driving great, alot better than a week ago. Now after this deep clean its stalling when its put in neutral or park. Very rarily while coming to a complete stop it'll also stall. But if I start the car again, nothing. Its just fine. Unless I rev the engine then itll stall and itll do it again if I move the car a little bit then put it back in park. Its giving the red like lightning bolt light aswell. Only thing i can think of is disconnect the battery to try to reset everything (trying that now) but I dont know if this will work. Anyone know whats going on or how to fix it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so after I unhooked the battery and re hooked it up and it would barely start. Codes brought up were lean in both banks. I re-adjusted the boot that goes to the throttle body and no more lean codes. Also its not acting up as much, but still giving me issues. Im still getting low and high idle codes and the red light, that I figured out is the electronic throttle control (ETC) is still coming on. Not as frequently and its not stalling anymore, but it is still like surging and has a bouncy rpm when it does come on. I took if for a drive for about 25 min and nothing at all until 45 seconds away from my house the ETC light came on and the light showing traction control is off came on, but not the check engine light. Still no idea what's going on though.

·
Administrator
6,840 Posts
Okay so after I unhooked the battery and re hooked it up and it would barely start. Codes brought up were lean in both banks. I re-adjusted the boot that goes to the throttle body and no more lean codes. Also its not acting up as much, but still giving me issues. Im still getting low and high idle codes and the red light, that I figured out is the electronic throttle control (ETC) is still coming on. Not as frequently and its not stalling anymore, but it is still like surging and has a bouncy rpm when it does come on. I took if for a drive for about 25 min and nothing at all until 45 seconds away from my house the ETC light came on and the light showing traction control is off came on, but not the check engine light. Still no idea what's going on though.
Have you ever had the fuel system flushed & serviced?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ever had the fuel system flushed & serviced?
Not professionally but I am running lucas in the gas tank and filling up with more highend gas with more than standard additives. Whats throwing me off is prior to cleaning only issues were slightly slower acceleration and bad mpg. Past that youd think nothing was wrong with the jeep. No stalls, codes, or hesitations of any sort.

·
Administrator
6,840 Posts
Not professionally but I am running lucas in the gas tank and filling up with more highend gas with more than standard additives. Whats throwing me off is prior to cleaning only issues were slightly slower acceleration and bad mpg. Past that youd think nothing was wrong with the jeep. No stalls, codes, or hesitations of any sort.
I would recommend the proper Chrysler dealer fuel system service/flush which also properly cleans the fuel injection system.

That's part of your required maintenance schedule; I believe it's a either a 40,000 or 60,000 mile check.

You might also consider replacing your spark plugs if you haven't done so already; @135,000 miles, you're definitely overdue to change them if you haven't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend the proper Chrysler dealer fuel system service/flush which also properly cleans the fuel injection system.

That's part of your required maintenance schedule; I believe it's a either a 40,000 or 60,000 mile check.

You might also consider replacing your spark plugs if you haven't done so already; @135,000 miles, you're definitely overdue to change them if you haven't.
Yeah I'll need to look into that injection cleaning. But ive already done the spark plugs a few weeks ago. Along with oil, filters, and brakes, really just basic stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you use the OEM spark plugs - or an aftermarket brand?
I used champion copper plugs. Nothing fancy. Same I used in my ram that also has the 5.7. The truck has given me about 60k trouble free miles since its last spark plug change.

·
Administrator
6,840 Posts
I used champion copper plugs. Nothing fancy. Same I used in my ram that also has the 5.7. The truck has given me about 60k trouble free miles since its last spark plug change.
Commanders (4.7L & 5.7L)are notoriously finicky if you go with anything other than the OEM factory spark plugs;

I'm not saying that's your issue, but, I'd definitely keep it in the back of your mind, if you can't chase down this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts