Jeep Commander Forum banner

Started My On Board Air today.

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  07JeepXK 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been planning on making myself an OBA system for a long time on my commander. I've been hoarding a bunch of parts for a few years.

Today i started with my tank. I used an old CO2 fire extinguisher bottle for the tank. The tank is aluminum and holds 1.5-2.0 gallons of air. I'm not sure what pressure it can take, i suspect around 2000 psi.

anyway here are some pictures. i did a write up on my website if you want to do your own. i need to find a few more parts to finish it all up, but that shouldn't cost anything.

this is the other part of the system

See less See more
#3 ·
Good idea ,, What id the blue thing in the last photo ? it looks like a filter !!

#4 ·
I think it is a dryer for removing water from the system with a drain at the bottom.

#5 ·
Looks interesting. I dont know much about OBA. Will you be able to fill all four tires with that after airing down?

#6 ·
yes. i will be able to fill my tires a little faster with a tank and possibly run air tools.

The Blue canister is a charcoal water and air seperator (air dryer). It just dries the air so your tank won't rust out. since my tank is aluminum it would not rust out anyway, but its always a good idea to have one on board.

i'm only adding about 15 lbs to the jeep with this whole system.

#8 ·
yes. i will be able to fill my tires a little faster with a tank and possibly run air tools.

The Blue canister is a charcoal water and air seperator (air dryer). It just dries the air so your tank won't rust out. since my tank is aluminum it would not rust out anyway, but its always a good idea to have one on board.

i'm only adding about 15 lbs to the jeep with this whole system.

Might have been easier to buy a PowerPlant winch. I can run air tools and inflate each tire in about 2 minutes each. :stickpoke: :rofl:

#7 ·
should sand down the tank and repaint it. slap some train horns on while youre at it.

#10 ·
... I used an old CO2 fire extinguisher bottle for the tank. The tank is aluminum and holds 1.5-2.0 gallons of air. I'm not sure what pressure it can take, i suspect around 2000 psi.
Stored preasure CO2 fire extinguisher are desinged with MANY different working preasure ratings .. that paticular Kidde unit is a fine choice for an air tank ... and it is designed to operate at 850 PSI.

#11 ·
^ looks like someone knows there fire extinguishers. I didnt even know you could use something like that for on board air.

#14 · (Edited)
The Commander lugs measure .745" or 18.9mm

So we uses 3/4" or 19mm socket for them

3/4" is .750"
19mm is .748"

All sockets are made with aporximatley (depending on manf. tolerance or design parameters) a .012" or .03mm clearance .. so the sockets themselves would be ...

3/4" socket measures = .762" or .19.35mm

19mm socket measures = .760" or 19.3mm

So either 19mm or 3/4" socket will work equaly well

#16 ·
The book just gives a four tire rotation.
There is a reason for that. I'm sure you read the thread about using different tire sizes and the effect it has on the diff.

#17 ·
I still believe you can do a 5 tire rotation as long as you rotated them every 2,000 miles or so. When I get my superlift and new tires ill let you guys know how it works. Worse case senerio I blow the transfer case and have to upgrade to a Rubi t-case or blow an axle and upgrade to the dana 44!

#18 ·
I still believe you can do a 5 tire rotation as long as you rotated them every 2,000 miles or so. When I get my superlift and new tires ill let you guys know how it works. Worse case senerio I blow the transfer case and have to upgrade to a Rubi t-case or blow an axle and upgrade to the dana 44!
I think you hit the nail on the head. As long as you can keep all 5 tires in the same tolerance then you should be able to do a 5 tire rotation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.