Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starter went out... But Fixed.... or not...

Well this was the first problem that I have had in the Commander, I just rolled over 50,000 miles this past weekend.

I had went home at lunchtime to let the dog out, and went to start the Commander and nothing happend... played and played with it for 5 minutes then it magically started for me. So I drove it right to the dealer, and they took about a half hour to diagnose the problem, and had a new starter installed in another hour. And thanks to the warranty there was only a $100 deductable.

I'm glad that it was an easy first problem to have!

Edit: I have an '08 with the 3.7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, it is three days later and the Commander will not start again. This time I had to have the Dealer tow it in to get fixed. Still waiting to hear back from them what the problem is...

I am wondering if this is the wireing harness issue I read about in the other threads, if so is there a part number I can reference to the dealer if it get's "fixed" this time, and then doesn't start again in the near future?

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It can just be the battery, unfortunately with the new electronic systems, that even control the starter motor, if voltage drops too low, they just go dead, and if the lowest voltage you are ever going to get is as you engage the starter.

There are other possibilities as well, hopefully the dealer will do a better job troubleshooting it this time and fix it properly. It could be relays or even the ignition module itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It did turn out to be the wireing harness! They said there was hardly any voltage at the starter end of the harness and correct voltage at the other end.

I must say I am happy with this Dealer so far. Both days that I had it in there they had it less than 3 hours each time. Even though they misdiagnosed it the first time, it is an easy one to misdiagnose. They said that with the bad connection it was having, pounding on the starter gave it a good enough connection to make it seem like the starter was bad.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Wiring harness or battery cables? The starter has heavy cables directly from the battery to the starter. They can develop a poor connection and NOT conduct enough current.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts