Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not the usual click/no-start issue. It cranks fine, it just won't stop cranking as if it gets stuck in a loop. It won't start until after 5 key turns or more. It had done this in the past, then all of a sudden it stopped. The problem is back now. Weird

Symptoms:

When you turn the key to the start position, the starter cranks up like normal but gets stuck in a loop. It will continue cranking even with the pressure of the tuning the key to the right no longer there. It stops all this once the key is turned to the off position.

Has anyone encountered this same scenario? What was the outcome?

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
@Hey12 Have you checked for codes? I have never heard of this issue before.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Hey12 Have you checked for codes? I have never heard of this issue before.

Yes, I have run the obd even though there isn't a check engine light but nothing came up. Normally, after sitting all night; when I start Commander in the morning it doesn't do this. It's only after I have stopped at a store and have gone in and out. Like I said previously, at one point it was doing this but then sort of fixed itself. Now, the problem is back.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
@Hey12 Changing the ignition switch might be a good place to start. It's inexpensive and easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Hey12 Changing the ignition switch might be a good place to start. It's inexpensive and easy to do yourself.

It was changed not long ago with a recall that hadn't been done yet. That and new key fobs were given. Should I just go ahead and change it out?

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Should I just go ahead and change it out?
That's your call. It is possible that a faulty one was put in. But I would think the part may be under warranty if it wasn't too long ago.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
@Hey12 After thinking about it and googling, it may be the starter. The Commander uses a TIP Start system that will continue to crank until the vehicle starts. It seems yours may be faulty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's your call. It is possible that a faulty one was put in. But I would think the part may be under warranty if it wasn't too long ago.

You do have a point. I can try it and see if the problem still persists. In the meantime, let's see if someone just maybe experienced this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Hey12 After thinking about it and googling, it may be the starter. The Commander uses a TIP Start system that will continue to crank until the vehicle starts. It seems yours may be faulty.

Well heck, do the starters not last so long? I just had changed it out a couple of years ago. I even did that mod with the wire.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Well heck, do the starters not last so long? I just had changed it out a couple of years ago. I even did that mod with the wire.
You changed the starter or the alternator? What wire mod?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You changed the starter or the alternator? What wire mod?

The starter was changed about 2 years ago. Pertaining to the wire mod, there was something on this forum that explained a wire mod on the starter since the original one would come loose. I can't recall what it was exactly about but that was done when I installed the new starter. I can't remember why I had originally done it but I do remember whatever problem I was having it didn't fix.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
The starter was changed about 2 years ago. Pertaining to the wire mod, there was something on this forum that explained a wire mod on the starter since the original one would come loose. I can't recall what it was exactly about but that was done when I installed the new starter. I can't remember why I had originally done it but I do remember whatever problem I was having it didn't fix.
@Hey12 I know there have been problems with the yellow alternator wire, but I have not heard (or don't recall) about the starter wire.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
@Hey12 The starter and alternator are not the same thing. Some people refer to the alternator as the starter, but this is incorrect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wait. Going back to the original post...
You turn the key to the start position and release.
The starter cranks fine.
The engine doesn’t start.
The starter continues to crank.
...It’s supposed to do that. It’s supposed to crank until the engine starts or it reaches whatever the timeout time is.
There is a software option related to this too but I can’t remember the detail offhand.

·
Administrator
16,179 Posts
Wait. Going back to the original post...
You turn the key to the start position and release.
The starter cranks fine.
The engine doesn’t start.
The starter continues to crank.
...It’s supposed to do that. It’s supposed to crank until the engine starts or it reaches whatever the timeout time is.
There is a software option related to this too but I can’t remember the detail offhand.
@bblickle You are correct. I mistakenly thought he said the engine started but the starter continued to crank after it started.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Hey12 I know there have been problems with the yellow alternator wire, but I have not heard (or don't recall) about the starter wire.

No, it was something to do with the starter and I did it but the problem I had at the time still persisted. It ended up being that the jeep just needed a brand new computer during that time which resolved that issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, so I was finally able to get a video of this. I didn't know how to upload here so click the link to the video. Remember, when the key is turned to the right, the starter sounds like it's in a loop mode. The vehicle during this loop noise mode DOES NOT turn on. It's after a few tries, it will turn on normally. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Again, it is operating correctly. Fix your non-starting issue and you won’t have a Starter-running-on issue.
This is a software option to operate like this. It can be disabled to operate traditionally but this is currently operating as designed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again, it is operating correctly. Fix your non-starting issue and you won’t have a Starter-running-on issue.
This is a software option to operate like this. It can be disabled to operate traditionally but this is currently operating as designed.
I'll be taking it to the mechanic soon. Lets see what he says.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts