Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be tackling a driver side head gasket replacement tomorrow. 2007 Overland the motor is a rebuilt 2008 Hemi with 20k. Is there anything special I should be aware of? I plan to document the process and provide a write up in case anyone else decides to take on the task in the future... any advice or tips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have a new set of exhaust manifold bolts and gasket. And don't forget to connect the vacuum hose for the brake system to the back of the intake manifold. Clean the throttle body and intake best you can.

07 XK Overland 5.7L 2" lift with 265-70-17

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
I'm going to be tackling a driver side head gasket replacement tomorrow. 2007 Overland the motor is a rebuilt 2008 Hemi with 20k. Is there anything special I should be aware of? I plan to document the process and provide a write up in case anyone else decides to take on the task in the future... any advice or tips.
If you have the time to take some pics and post a break down/step by step of what you do from start to finish - that would make a nice tutorial for other members.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
If it was me, I would ditch the factory hardware and get ARP studs for the heads. If they are out of your budget, get their head bolts. Their products are substantially stronger than the factory bolts and aren't susceptible to stretch and fatigue.

Get high quality aftermarket gaskets. I would do both sides so that there is no worry about the other side cutting loose. I also read that the factory seats had a flaw in some years of the early heads and that they were prone to dropping . You may wish to have them replaced or check to see if you have to worry about it.

I also bought ARP stainless exhaust bolts and studs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
As you are draining coolant from the system, you might want to change the thermostat if you haven't done so in awhile. Fresh hoses couldn't hurt either.

I was running some errands before Christmas downtown. I stopped behind another car and was idling when he started to drive away. All of a sudden there was smoke everywhere. I thought that poor bastard has some issues but then I realized that the smoke wasn't going away. I turned off the engine and popped the hood turns out that the previous owner fixed a leak at the heater core by cutting half the hose off and then reattaching the fitting, without tightening the clamp to boot. About two liters of coolant came out but I managed to loosen the clamp with a key and push the fitting in as far as it would go before it hit the end of the heater core tube. That was only about 3/8" and part of the reason it blew off.

Thank God it didn't blow off on the highway a few days earlier. Trying go save few bucks could have catastrophic consequences.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Really??? I was on the highway 2 days before. If it happened then when I was going 80 mph, by the time you figure out your bleeding coolant your engine is cooked. I lost 2 litres in 10 seconds at idle. How much would bleed out at that speed? Like I said, catastrophic.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
Really??? I was on the highway 2 days before. If it happened then when I was going 80 mph, by the time you figure out your bleeding coolant your engine is cooked. I lost 2 litres in 10 seconds at idle. How much would bleed out at that speed? Like I said, catastrophic.
Indeed.

Everything is accelerated & amplified at highway speed and like Flex said, by the time you figure out what's going on - it's all over.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes really, it's not instantaneous. Happened to me on the highway, saw steam of the back(and there will be a lot of it), pulled over and shut it off. There was no instant melt down you describe.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Indeed.

Everything is accelerated & amplified at highway speed and like Flex said, by the time you figure out what's going on - it's all over.
You're saying you won't notice a plume of steam out the back until the engine seizes or the temp gage slowly rising?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was out hunting until dusk. It's a two hour drive home in pitch black darkness. Unless you have somehow learned to see in the dark, yeah your not going to see it until your engine starts to bake. I also don't generally carry an extra 15 liters of Mopar coolant around with me either.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was out hunting until dusk. It's a two hour drive home in pitch black darkness. Unless you have somehow learned to see in the dark, yeah your not going to see it until your engine starts to bake. I also don't generally carry an extra 15 liters of Mopar coolant around with me either.
That's why you have a temp gage and water will work until you get back.

Again, it's not instantaneous.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sure bro. I have been there. Coolant pisses out in seconds but it takes the engine a minute to overheat. By the time your guage starts to rise, the coolant is loooooonnnng gone.

Had it happen once in my ram. Thankfully my brother was with me in his truck and we were able to repair and scroung up some coolant at a nearby gas station. Otherwise I would have been stranded on the side of the road. It's easy to talk about gauges and plumes and theories, reality on the other hand is a bitch. Not worth several thousand in motor over $30 in hose.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
You're saying you won't notice a plume of steam out the back until the engine seizes or the temp gage slowly rising?

Honestly Legofan, during the day when you have good visibility, you could probably catch it in time if you're an alert driver.

At night when visibility is not so good, I would highly doubt it.

And lets be real here for a minute....how often does the average driver really look at their temperature gauge?

I'd say, not very often.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Personally I can't believe anyone would argue against the common sense of replacing a few bucks worth of ten year old hoses when the system is already apart.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Personally I can't believe anyone would argue against the common sense of replacing a few bucks worth of ten year old hoses when the system is already apart.
Wasn't arguing that, you simply missed the point.

I'll explain it more simply for you. When the hose breaks and fluid leaks out, the engine isn't instantaneously destroyed which you argued.

I'm all for replacing bad parts, we all are.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's called preventative maintenance that even a simple mind should understand.

Prove me wrong. Cut your coolant hose to your heater core and highway drive until you gauge starts to show an over heat. Let us know the results. You could do a little "how to" video. I will have popcorn ready.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I also have two university degrees, a very high IQ and ran a home building company for 8 years that built 60 houses. The only thing I need "simplified" is how to land a babe that won't steal my money and run off with a piece of **** that worked for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts