Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if any of you have experienced this issue. I have used the search function to no avail, so I thought I'd post.

Over the last month or so, I have had problems with my Commander (2006 w/4.7). When it is really cold out (I'm talking overnight it was consistently -5 to 1 degree) the darn thing will not start.

Here are the symptoms.

When I get in the Jeep, I'll turn the key and the motor will do absolutely nothing. The gauges on the dash light up as if the Jeep was in Accessory mode, Radio turns on, heat kicks on - etc.

I then turn the key off, try again. no luck. After a couple more tries all of a sudden the Jeep fires up as if it wasn't even an issue. This tells me that there is nothing wrong with the Battery because when it finally fires, it does like I was starting it in the middle of June.

Took it to the dealer to have their techs look at it. They said there was nothing in the computer to indicate anything is wrong. He replaced some module which indicated a low voltage error and sent me on my way. The other day, it happened again.

The whole situation makes me nervous because we bought the Commander for my wife and our 6 week old baby. A "Reliable" vehicle... now I'm nervous she'll go out to the Jeep someday and it won't start, leaving her stuck.

Anyone have this problem before?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
How long have you owned the Commander?

I am asking because it may need to have the computer flashed. Of course, it could be something else, but I figure it's a good starting point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it used last December (2008) so I've had it for over a year. We had cold days last winter and didn't experience this, so this is new as of this year.

Did you guys just go to the dealer and ask to get the computer flashed?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I can't remember if that fell under a recall or TSB, but I would see if you can find out if it was done.

I could be something different, but I would try to find out.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I know this is somewhat elementary, but check your battery terminals to make sure there is no corrosion or a loose connection. Try taking them off and re-tightening, sometimes its just that simple. When something is electrical, always start with the basics no matter how easy or stupid it may seem.

You may also have a bad ignition switch.

Just a couple of thoughts.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I know this is somewhat elementary, but check your battery terminals to make sure there is no corrosion or a loose connection. Try taking them off and re-tightening, sometimes its just that simple. When something is electrical, always start with the basics no matter how easy or stupid it may seem.

You may also have a bad ignition switch.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Good points. The ignition switch has been an issue for a few people as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts