Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2007 commander with 6900 miles on it...4.7L is having issues

Ever since we bought it with 20 miles on the clock it has had a hard time starting. When the engine is cold it fires right up....but when the motor is warm, it'll crank and crank for up to 10 seconds before finally starting.

Anyone else have this issue. My wife is finally out of school so she's taking it to the dealer thursday. I'm concerned the starter is gonna die early with all of this cranking.

I'm nervous to bring it to the dealer because last time we brought a liberty CRD there they had it for 2.5 weeks because they fried the computer while trying to flash it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rubicontrail.net said:
Take it to AutoZone or the dealer and have them check out the battery first. I believe there was a bad batch of batteries with a TSB out there to replace the battery.
the engine cranks/turns over fine but the motor will not start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Wenied said:
I'm sorry for not being very clear on the issue. It's cranking fine, the battery and starter are fine.

When warm the motor will turn over for 10 seconds or so before firing up.
You were clear, but I have seen threads before where the problem was still the starter.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Take it to AutoZone or the dealer and have them check out the battery first. I believe there was a bad batch of batteries with a TSB out there to replace the battery.

I looked through all of the TSB and I could not find batch of bad batteries. I spent 180.00 for new battery about 2 mos. ago. expensive for a car battery. Had to get at stealership (special battery) AutoZone and others do not carry that kind of battery.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I hate to change the subject but i didnt know they made a liberty CRD? What year was it?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ranger6882 said:
I looked through all of the TSB and I could not find batch of bad batteries. I spent 180.00 for new battery about 2 mos. ago. expensive for a car battery. Had to get at stealership (special battery) AutoZone and others do not carry that kind of battery.
Do you have to use the factory battery?? I have always replaced my batteries when they wear out with DEEP RESERVE batteries. Can get the Red Top at COSTCO for about $150 and they really outlast regular car batteries. john

·
Registered
21 Posts
They replaced my battery when I had it in for my radio problem. They had a tech memo that a crack in the post (probably over-tightend in factory) on some batteries and they inspected and replaced mine new.... I am sure I have the ticket still if interested I can go dig it out......

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
John said:
Do you have to use the factory battery?? I have always replaced my batteries when they wear out with DEEP RESERVE batteries. Can get the Red Top at COSTCO for about $150 and they really outlast regular car batteries. john
I do not now I also priced cstco, but I thought for $30.00 more I would have peice of mind not to void warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts