Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize that the inspection laws differ from each state. Here in PA we unfortunately have some tough laws.

I'd really like to add a set of 1.5 inch spider trac spacers to my 2007, only the PA inspection law won't allow "Spacers over 1/4 inch in thickness used to increase wheel track."

I'm wondering if they are referring to those slip over aluminum disks you just slide over the existing studs and the wheel holds in in place or does that include something like the 1.5" bolt on spacers? I can call my local garage but I think they will say anything over 1/4" period.

Does anyone in PA know? I found a thread on another Jeep site that said "My brother-in-law does PA state vehicle inspections and we were talking about it. He said spacers will NOT pass inspection. Then I mentioned the Spydertrax spacers and how they mount and he said there should be no problem with them since they give you "new" lugs to mount the wheels onto.The concern with regular spacers is that they reduce the amount of threads that the lug nuts have to grab onto so, they fail inspections. Spydertrax don't so that changes things a bit. Now, that is only 1 inspection mechanics ohttp://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27345#pinion"

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Here in PA we unfortunately have some tough laws.

I feel for you BBC, I moved from PA 15 years ago to FL where there is no State inspection. I have seen several PA Trooper checking wheels that obviously had spacers behind them. I always thought they were looking to see if the wheel extended past the fender flare.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
..."Spacers over 1/4 inch in thickness used to increase wheel track."

I'm wondering if they are referring to those slip over aluminum disks you just slide over the existing studs and the wheel holds in in place or does that include something like the 1.5" bolt on spacers? I can call my local garage but I think they will say anything over 1/4" period....
An aluminum disk is a spacer, they make it pretty clear in the law, if you use it to increase wheel track more than a 1/4" its illegal, keep in mind, you'll use one per side, so any spacer over an 1/8" will result in increasing track more than 1/4". Call it what ever you want, the inspector and state troopers will call it a spacer and fail/cite you if you use it.

If you use the slip over spacers, you have to use special lug nuts or longer wheel studs, you have to have the same amount of nut over stud or you've weakened the retention power on the wheel. Arguably, you need stronger retention power on the wheel (i.e. stronger studs/lug nuts) because you've increased the stress on the lugs by moving the wheel farther away from the hub.

Yea, PA is NOT the only state, there are others; it appears their attitude is, if it caused one accident or one person can screw it up, we'll ban it for everyone so it won't happen.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've had them on for years and its never came up during inspection, and my mans a stickler, about everything. They're 1.25" Spidertrax hub eccentric. Don't like the way XK's look without them. Too verticle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I live in pa , you should not have any problems at all. Dealers around here are selling trucks with tires way past the fenders then what is stated legal and lifts just as high as anyone would want. They pass. If you do happen to find a place that fails you just go to the next.. I have 1" spacers and haven't had problems

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess where you go makes a big difference. When I bought my 2007, part of the dealers perks was offering a free lifetime inspection service each year, which saves about $38... if I recall correctly. I'd just have to pay for the emission test.

I'd like to take advantage of that 38 buck savings every year but I'm wondering if the dealership would be more picky as opposed to a local garage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
An aluminum disk is a spacer, they make it pretty clear in the law, if you use it to increase wheel track more than a 1/4" its illegal, ....
If you use the slip over spacers, you have to use special lug nuts or longer wheel studs,
How does PA feel about wheel "adapters"? Most quality spacers these days (the common spidertrax included) are more like an adapter than a spacer. ie: they bolt to the factory lugs, and then the wheels botl to them. They are not just a slip-over spacer. So even though you;re going from a 5 on 5, to a 5 on 5, they are still technically an "adapter" as opposed to a spacer.

And frankly, it's the only safe way to do it. Folks adding a simple slip-over spacer will someday be chasing their wheels down the road. I once had one of my wheels pass me on the freeway :icon_redface: because as a kid I didn't understand the physics that mongo describes in his post above.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
How does PA feel about wheel "adapters"? Most quality spacers these days (the common spidertrax included) are more like an adapter than a spacer. ie: they bolt to the factory lugs, and then the wheels botl to them. They are not just a slip-over spacer. So even though you;re going from a 5 on 5, to a 5 on 5, they are still technically an "adapter" as opposed to a spacer.

And frankly, it's the only safe way to do it. Folks adding a simple slip-over spacer will someday be chasing their wheels down the road. I once had one of my wheels pass me on the freeway :icon_redface: because as a kid I didn't understand the physics that mongo describes in his post above.
Well the law states:
"Spacers over 1/4 inch in thickness used to increase wheel track."
So, if the adapter doesn't increase wheel track, you're probably good to go, if it does increase wheel track, they'll see it as a spacer.

Moot point, because several current PA residents are saying they are NOT enforcing the law and pass inspection with wheel spacers on their vehicles.

I agree with you on the slip over spacers. Although I have seen them used with longer and higher strength studs and lug nuts, and I've even seen them used with special lug nuts that go past the wheel and into the spacer to have the same amount of thread to grip by the lug nut.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Everyone has a lot of good points. I'm wondering if an adapter used to change a lug pattern would be considered a "spacer" for the purposes of a states inspections definitions.

The one thing about inspection laws, is that definitions can be kinda vague and open to some interpretation. I can totally understand if your just tossing a spacer disk onto the hub. Then it's a matter of not having the proper length of threads on the stud. That makes sense, although when done correctly, (as mentioned above) you must install longer studs to adjust for the spacer.

I think I'll take the gamble and install a set of 1.5" spider trax spacers (unless there is a better brand floating around...but that a whole other discussion. In threads I also read up to a 1" spacer is virtually no difference as far as stress and wear on components,... I wonder if that extra 1/2" does make a big difference? In fact Mongo mentioned about up to 1" in this thread http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34778&highlight=wheel+spacers

·
Registered
111 Posts
As long as it is hub centric (not just slip on plate) and BOLTS to existing lugs while giving you new lugs to mount the wheel to, in most cases you will not have a problem , also who is to say if it changed your lug pattern by just looking at it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fyi I run 255 75 mt with 1" spacers and have NO rub (not to say you won't either but just food for thought, depending on your application), I got mine off eBay from integrity automotive came in a set of 4 for 110 bucks , same material as spidertrax, I kno of a guy running same tires with the 1.5 spacers and he has rub.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Remember tire sizes describe only certain points on the body of the tire, and tires differ greatly in their design, NOT only manufacturer but model to model of the same manufacturer.

So if a 255/75 of one tire model doesn't rub, does NOT mean a 255/75 of another tire model will NOT rub either, it very well might.

If you've got less than an inch of clearance, I'd warn, your results may vary depending on the brand/model of tire.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Actually someone with more experience than I with spacers said many Commander owners are using spacers up to 1.5" with no problems at all.

I said an inch, and its probably 1.5", is good for Commanders, based off the experience of people posting. It depends on the vehicle and the suspension design. A small car, with small wheels and suspension, an inch can be relatively greater than on a Commander, the suspension geometry might be way off, the stress much greater and someone using 1" spacers may have a nightmare ride, tires, shocks and suspension pieces wearing out left and right.
As long as it is hub centric (not just slip on plate) and BOLTS to existing lugs while giving you new lugs to mount the wheel to, in most cases you will not have a problem , also who is to say if it changed your lug pattern by just looking at it.
Again, people in PA say they aren't enforcing the law. I imagine you p.o. the cops and have some Monster Truck that the cop has to strain his neck to look up at you, they may take the time to check your vehicle mods against all the laws.

All it takes is a tape measure, look up the specs on the internet (probably have it in their cruiser) and look in the opening of the wheel and see a hunk of metal between the rotor hub and wheel hub, it won't matter what you call it, they'll could call it a spacer and I bet it will hold up in court.

BUT, before I sound like I'm poop pooing all over wheel spacers, by the posts from folks in PA, this isn't happening to them. As long as your tires aren't sticking out 6" from the fenders, it sounds like the state inspection or cops that pull you over could care less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts