Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that occurs occasionally. When I start my jeep the steering will ratchet. Its not in the column, but in the hydraulics. If I advance the throttle once for a second it stops and is fine for days or weeks. Is it air in the system from a loose fitting? Fluid has never been low and no leaks, so I think it rules out a fluid leak or loose fitting. Only does it at when you first start occasionally. Dealership can not duplicate because it doesn't give them a code, what happened to troubleshooting and figuring it out? Could it be a bad pump that's acting up? Any help would be appreciated.

2010 Sport 5.7l 4x4 tow package with 10655 miles

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can only tell when you turn the wheel, but I have ruled out the tires or different pavement surface. I have polished concrete in my garage and it has done it there on occasion, the rest of the time its fine. So I don't think its the tires or turning resistance from the concrete.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it is a shudder in the steering wheel as you turn it, it would be somehwat of a shot in the dark, to replace the pump. I would try changing the fluid first. I change to Amsoil synthetic in mine.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Shutter explains it to the T.
This one is sort of interesting as I have had a similar experience....on a different brand vehicle.
Specifically, one of my Impala's.
These cars sit unused for extensive lengths of time and weird things crop up.

A few years ago, when I would start my 95 to move it about in the building, sometimes the steering would chatter, right through the wheel.....sound familiar?

Anyways, the LT-1 V-8 uses a camshaft driven water pump...no belt.
Because of its configuration and long sit times, I found it would decide to drool coolant on the power steering belt from time to time and upon startup, the pump would slip/spin a few times before the belt dried, making the steering chatter.

Strangely enouph, the pump would not leak with any regularity so I had to have it happen a few times before I caught it in the act.
And, it would only leak for a minute or two and then seal itself up (damn mechanical pump seals do that)

Anyways, you might want to remove the shield and look up fron the bottom with a good pinpoint light.....might be something from above.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts