Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Has anyone ever adjusted the pinion lask in their PAS racks?? I had an advisory note on the UK mot test which said the RH inner tie rod was loose....... Having pulled back the steering rack bellows its absolutely fine. I the play seems to be up and down in the rack and only on the rhs....... Lhs seems ok........ Having pulled the belly pan off I can just..... And I mean just feel an external torx bolt on the rack housing which I am presuming is to adjust the pinion lash............ Question is anyone actually ever tightened it and what's the the best way to get a wrench on it???? If anyone knows the size that would be great too :)

Cheers all

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is an old post, but yes I did the adjustment. I had an intermittent clunk going on. Someone else on here posted about this adjustment but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, just remove the plastic oil drip guide from the cross member and you can get access to the bolt - I hear some are hex head and some are external Torx. I slipped on a standard socket (size escapes me at the moment) and tightened it maybe 1/8 turn. I drove it and the clunk was gone but the steering was too tight (wheel did not return to center after turning). Went through this a few times until it felt right, but it did indeed fix my steering clunk. Go easy on the adjustment - less is more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts