Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel is starting to peel at the 9 and 3 o'clock position. Just wondering if anyone else out there have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I think you are the first one to have this problem. Are you the original owner? I wonder if it is related to a chemical used to clean the steering wheel?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a couple of very minor peels right in the spot where you press your palm while turning (around 2 o'clock position for me) Another issue for me is that the outer layers of the wheel are "disconnected" from whatever is in the core, so I can actually twist the leather around the core of the wheel (right at the 12 o'clock position)

Easiest fix for the peeling is to get yourself one of those fancy, furry wheel covers. Maybe a pink one... :)

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Just as an FYI, Wheel Skins make leather lace on steering wheel covers. It is a lot cheaper than replacing the wheel. They come in many colors, some 2-tone. I put mine on right after I bought the jeep, even though I had a leather wheel. I like the feel, because it makes the wheel thicker. I clean it one a month or so with a leather wipe, and it looks as good as the day I installed it. Took about an hour, with 2 cups of coffee!:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to re revive this thread, i also have a severe problem with this, every time i get out of the vehicle after driving it, my hands are stuck with this pieces of rubber, or fabric. I want to fix this, but not sure how. I am looking into steering wheel restoration, but i heard it's quite expensive. i've found these guys on google, woodensteeringwheels.com has anyone delt anything with them ? let me know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts