Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's been a while since i've been on the forum but i've missed it!

I've got a small problem. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander and recently the steering wheel volume control (on the right side behind the steering wheel) bottom button got stuck, so i tried to pop it off but looks like i broke the clip.

I can get the whole unit again from Jeep for $85 which i'm okay with but they want to charge me $270 just to install it! My question is, is there any other option for me? Would it be hard for me to do myself? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I say do it yourself for free, and I'll only charge $135 for consultation fees. :)

There are a couple bolts on the back of the steering wheel holding the front/airbag on. With those out you will be able to open it up and see the super-simple wiring harness and button system. Replace and reassemble.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say do it yourself for free, and I'll only charge $135 for consultation fees. :)

There are a couple bolts on the back of the steering wheel holding the front/airbag on. With those out you will be able to open it up and see the super-simple wiring harness and button system. Replace and reassemble.
Thank you very much for your reply Kansas, my only concern is the airbag deploying during working on it. I've heard that if I remove the battery there is no chance the airbag can deploy, do you know if this is true?

Also, would i need to completely take off the steering wheel or just the back cover?

Thank again!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Disconnecting the battery should eliminate any chance of the airbag deploying, unless there is an auxiliary system I don't know about.

Depending on what you intend to replace, you can access all the wires, etc. from the front of the wheel, and would only have to remove it if you were replacing the whole back cover piece (as opposed to just popping the buttons out). Probably won't take more than seven minutes.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your replies and help! Last night I removed the cover from the steering wheel and like you said, I could see the cord that is attached to the button and it is a simple pull clip to take it off. I rang Jeep this morning and they are ordering me the part, they say it should be here in the next day or so.

Would you guys happen to know if there's any kind of "radio/wireless" setup that I need to do when I plug in the new buttons? Or is it all basically connected through the cord?.. Plug and play..

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just changed the button/switch. Extremely easy! And if i can do it anyone can do it!

Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts