Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done or looked into changing steering wheels on a Sport model in replace of a leather wrapped w/ audio controls, is it a simple swap??? Just bought a 07 Rocky Mountain? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you REALLY want to loose your air bag, radio controls, and cruise control?

NOT ME!! Besides, if your insurance company ever caught wind of it, they'll deny any and all claims!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I saw a thread somewhere with photos and everything of someone installing buttons on thier current steering wheel. I tried to find it but was unsuccesful, anyone else remember that or am I going nuts?

·
Registered
218 Posts
RedCommander said:
Wasn't that IowaCommander?

I'd still go the new wheel route if it were plug and play personally.

i beleive it was YB Normal.....Yb you out there? I think you can look under his posts and find it

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
You can order the wheel itself from the dealer, its $410.00 and doesn't indicate if it includes the cutouts for the audio controls. I'm going to do YB's mod and then start looking in boneyards for similar leather wheels if I screw it up.

The same wheel fits the GC and other Jeep/DCX models, just the airbag module is different.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did a similar mod on my 05' Ram SLT, I wanted a leather wheel and Remote Audio, the dealer said it was going cost close to a grand in parts, turns out there was a forum for Dodge Ram trucks as well, and there was a gal on there that made and sold a plug and play wire harness for the remote audio buttons and a new cluster was not needed. I bought the new leather wheel and the buttons and had the dealer installed everything in about a hour, I think I ended up spending about 350.00 to upgrade to a leather wheel and remote audio. So I am sure it can be done.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Moprmusl71 said:
Has anybody done or looked into changing steering wheels on a Sport model in replace of a leather wrapped w/ audio controls, is it a simple swap??? Just bought a 07 Rocky Mountain? Thanks Jim
It's a straight forward swap, there's an extra connector on the clockspring for the audio controls. Plug and Play :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The post for YB on the Mod for the steering wheel is in the Interior/Exterior (Mods 2 go)
I followed YB's instruction and it worked great. i used my dremel there were no problems at all.:) :)

these are the prices for the local delaership here in Maryland.
Right switch 4685728AB $18.36 US
Left switch 4685729AB $21.42 US
Switch harness 52029319AA $11.39 US

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts