Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this forum, I've fixed my sunroof leaks (although the floor still gets kinda wet from another mystery leak in the front...). This takes me to my next mission: fixing my inactive sunroof. It just sits there, dead. It would be nice if it at least vented!

Was wondering if anyone can recommend steps to take to fix this thing? (Start with fuses? Move on to the switch on the headboard? Then, replacing the sunroof motor? etc., etc.).

I looked at old threads and found lots on leaks, but couldn't see steps to trace a broken sunroof to make it operational. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,840 Posts
Thanks to this forum, I've fixed my sunroof leaks (although the floor still gets kinda wet from another mystery leak in the front...). This takes me to my next mission: fixing my inactive sunroof. It just sits there, dead. It would be nice if it at least vented!

Was wondering if anyone can recommend steps to take to fix this thing? (Start with fuses? Move on to the switch on the headboard? Then, replacing the sunroof motor? etc., etc.).

I looked at old threads and found lots on leaks, but couldn't see steps to trace a broken sunroof to make it operational. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
@CANYONERO;

First thing I'd check is the fuse for the Motor/Module-Sunroof in the junction block; You can read/see more about it here;

If the fuse is good, it's entirely possible that the sunroof motor/module itself is bad and needs to be replaced.

Since you know your sunroof leaked, I'd also take your time and inspect your junction block very thoroughly, for corrosion and/or water damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sunroof motor/module itself could be bad.
Was thinking I could replace the motor, but I've heard this is a gongshow process. Also, I can't seem to find any links or steps on how to actually drop the ceiling (roof) down to access the motor.

·
Administrator
6,840 Posts
Was thinking I could replace the motor, but I've heard this is a gongshow process. Also, I can't seem to find any links or steps on how to actually drop the ceiling (roof) down to access the motor.
You're looking for information about how to drop the headliner?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're looking for information about how to drop the headliner?
I found a couple threads on the headliner (below) but no how-to steps, and nothing on the sunroof motor itself.

I have some friends that are offering to help out (tough with COVID though), but the sheer fact it's there and won't work, is driving me nuts. And I refuse to pay $1600 at a dealership, when I think I can pay $130 on eBay for a motor and do it myself!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I found a couple threads on the headliner (below) but no how-to steps, and nothing on the sunroof motor itself.

I have some friends that are offering to help out (tough with COVID though), but the sheer fact it's there and won't work, is driving me nuts. And I refuse to pay $1600 at a dealership, when I think I can pay $130 on eBay for a motor and do it myself!

Once you've removed the headliner the sunroof assembly will be very accessible and easy to pull out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
While you have the headliner down I'd take the time to inspect all the wiring and connection for corrosion. Also if there is water stains on the liner it would be a great opportunity to clean it up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You meantioned you had a sunroof leak, did you clear out both lines on each side of the drainage tray?
Thanks! I think I did manage to clean them out, thanks to this site and YouTube.

I did the best I could with drain cleaner, as well as cutting the grommets in the floor, and (finger's crossed) the leaks from the sunroof and the A-handles disappeared. It's tough to clear them when the roof is broken though.

HOWEVER, there is another small remaining floor leak, that I think is coming in the front from the area of the windshield or door. I'll post pics soon of where the leak seems to be appearing, up near the left of the driver's floor area (near where the dead pedal sits)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While you have the headliner down I'd take the time to inspect all the wiring and connection for corrosion. Also if there is water stains on the liner it would be a great opportunity to clean it up.
That's a great call, and thanks for the diagram! Super helpful. Do you have any recommended Ebay'ers that sell reliable parts? My issue with other sites is that many don't ship to Canada.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks! I think I did manage to clean them out, thanks to this site and YouTube.

I did the best I could with drain cleaner, as well as cutting the grommets in the floor, and (finger's crossed) the leaks from the sunroof and the A-handles disappeared. It's tough to clear them when the roof is broken though.

HOWEVER, there is another small remaining floor leak, that I think is coming in the front from the area of the windshield or door. I'll post pics soon of where the leak seems to be appearing, up near the left of the driver's floor area (near where the dead pedal sits)
Those blue drainage hoses could have a crack and still be leaking even after they are unclogged. one way to see if there is a cracked line it to plug up one end and blow into the other to see if have a tight seal or air is escaping. Removing the handles on either side of the windshield does expose a portion of these lines that you can inspect and possibly patch.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's a great call, and thanks for the diagram! Super helpful. Do you have any recommended Ebay'ers that sell reliable parts? My issue with other sites is that many don't ship to Canada.
One way to see if a seller is good is checking their rating, but if at all possible I'd get a new motor if money isn't an issue. Something else to keep in mind is that the sunrood switch it self could be bad, but you won't know unless you've already pulled the headliner out to test it.
You can order parts directly from Mopar if you're not already aware of that. Here is a link

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those blue drainage hoses could have a crack and still be leaking even after they are unclogged. one way to see if there is a cracked line it to plug up one end and blow into the other to see if have a tight seal or air is escaping. Removing the handles on either side of the windshield does expose a portion of these lines that you can inspect and possibly patch.
Thanks! I did remove the handles and the lines looked great. I think the leak is coming in somewhere else (front windshield and/or door seal), but I won't know until I have time to test with a hose covering selected areas. Will let you know what I find!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Purchased a unit off of eBay, and will test it and install asap... Will take some pics and let you know what happens.

If you see a picture of an open sunroof, you'll know it was a successful mission.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts