Jeep Commander Forum banner

Steps for fixing a broken (inactive) sunroof?

17K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  HyperionAlpha 
#1 ·
Thanks to this forum, I've fixed my sunroof leaks (although the floor still gets kinda wet from another mystery leak in the front...). This takes me to my next mission: fixing my inactive sunroof. It just sits there, dead. It would be nice if it at least vented!

Was wondering if anyone can recommend steps to take to fix this thing? (Start with fuses? Move on to the switch on the headboard? Then, replacing the sunroof motor? etc., etc.).

I looked at old threads and found lots on leaks, but couldn't see steps to trace a broken sunroof to make it operational. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

#2 ·
Thanks to this forum, I've fixed my sunroof leaks (although the floor still gets kinda wet from another mystery leak in the front...). This takes me to my next mission: fixing my inactive sunroof. It just sits there, dead. It would be nice if it at least vented!

Was wondering if anyone can recommend steps to take to fix this thing? (Start with fuses? Move on to the switch on the headboard? Then, replacing the sunroof motor? etc., etc.).

I looked at old threads and found lots on leaks, but couldn't see steps to trace a broken sunroof to make it operational. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
@CANYONERO;

First thing I'd check is the fuse for the Motor/Module-Sunroof in the junction block; You can read/see more about it here;

If the fuse is good, it's entirely possible that the sunroof motor/module itself is bad and needs to be replaced.

Since you know your sunroof leaked, I'd also take your time and inspect your junction block very thoroughly, for corrosion and/or water damage.

#13 ·
Thanks! I think I did manage to clean them out, thanks to this site and YouTube.

I did the best I could with drain cleaner, as well as cutting the grommets in the floor, and (finger's crossed) the leaks from the sunroof and the A-handles disappeared. It's tough to clear them when the roof is broken though.

HOWEVER, there is another small remaining floor leak, that I think is coming in the front from the area of the windshield or door. I'll post pics soon of where the leak seems to be appearing, up near the left of the driver's floor area (near where the dead pedal sits)

#24 ·
My sunroof is off track. I have to replace the tracks on both sides. The motor runs fine. Apparently the previous owners were unaware they should lube the sunroof on a regular basis, duh. Sarcasm. Honestly who would know this and who decided it's smart to make the track out of plastic? This is rhetorical. I know it's a money matter by manufacturer and I'd love to give them an ear full of what I think not that it make a difference. At least I have Jeep Commander.com to turn to for help. So my dad found replacement tracks on eBay and once they arrive we are going to drop the headliner and do our best to not break anything while we disassemble and then reassemble everything. Little nerve racking but it must be done. My Jeep is already at mildew level, we've had so much rain and even with a wet dry vac I can't keep up unless I quit my job and abandon eating and sleeping and more. Wish me luck, nothing to it but to do it. I'm one tough little chic not gonna let this take me down😉

#25 ·
@Khirstgagirl Good luck! Not something I would look forward to doing either. Let us know how it goes.

#27 ·
Here's the catalogue of the complete sun roof part list/assembly for the Jeep Commander. What exactly is the plastic part you have that is broken?

Years ago my XK sat idle for about 8 months. It had developed the dreaded drain clog problem and standing water in the channel rusted the bolts holding the sun roof window to the frame. But long before this, some funky... plastic... part? One that I cannot find in this catalogue list, it was entirely made of plastic that I could tell and it had long since become brittle with several pieces of plastic having broken off before I ever even bought the car. These things were to the left and the right of the frame/track, and it seemed like they served little purpose. Although since then I have thought they might have been there in an attempt to keep water from splashing down the centre of the opening, it never seemed like they were necessary. When I replaced the sun roof I just removed them and never got any replacement at all, haven't had an issue as far as I can tell. Actually, I lied, I just found it, it looks like it is part #13 in this diagram, here is the link:

This isn't the track... but it's the only thing that just completely fell apart in my sun roof, before bolts rusted away. Sun roof mechanism cover.

#28 ·
Im sharing the post that saved my day on the "the floor keeps getting wet", I just fixed mine and it was thanks to: "swabb-bommin"'s post, I copied and pasted it here (dont know how to just put the link) hope it helps:

"Ez to fix, pain to figure out

I have an 07 hemi commander. I had the same exact issue after it rained like it does a lot in the spring up here in New England. I noticed my see through floor mats had condensation under them. Upon further investigation I realized there was a leak somewhere. 1st thing I did was google it since as soon as you bring it back on its warranty if its a defect that Jeep doesnt own up to then your SOL and your vin gets flagged if you ever try to trade it in.
I tried the water test since I have a sunroof and no luck, the drains weren't plugged. I then removed the interior moulding and realized that the water was getting into the jeep from a very poor sub-frame design flaw. The water is able seep in in-between the pinch welds on the outside molding just above the door. Then runs down the inside by the windshield into your floorboard.
1st repair I tried was silicone which I found out later contains an acid that will eventually eat away at the metal. I actually started to worry that my investment in my jeep was shot but on a little streak of bad luck I figured out how to fix it.
I was having my windshield repalced for the 2nd time in 2 years from all the sand on the roads up here in the winter. While the tech was in my driveway he asked me about the silicone that i had put along the sub-frame over the passenger door and over the upper corner of the windshield and he told me when he replaced the windshield he would put extra heat treated sealant. BAM!!! i was so relieved after he put that black stuff on that it hasnt leaked in the last 2 years. A small stroke of bad luck actually helped me fix the issue that I found plagued forums by many disgruntled consumers. Insurance will cover it if you got glass coverage, FYI.
The funny part of the story is when I started investigating the leak I even went to the dealership lot and went into every commander and felt the passenger floor board and they were all wet and smelled musty when you opened the door.
I hope this helped and gave you the solution you are looking for."

#32 ·
the sealant used was a regular weatherstrip sealant and it was applied just below the weatherstrip , on the very corner where the metal from the pillar joins the metal from the ceiling of the car, right hand side top corner, when the weatherstrip moves or gets loosen the water gets under the weatherstrip and travels all the way down and pours into thepassenger side floor, that’s why you can’t see it cause it’s traveling under the strip and it pours in under the carpet

#34 ·
Awesome, thank you!

Also, I received a free door seal (from an old junk Commander), and replaced my seal. This also REALLY cut down on the leakage, so if there's still something getting in, changing the door seal will help stop that extra moisture from getting in.

#35 ·
Yes, I'd considered replacing the door seal as well, but it seemed supple enough still. I don't know if it is deformed or flattened enough over time and use to make it less effective... but at any rate the fixes that I detailed in this thread completely stopped all of my exterior water leaks into the cabin of my Commander. You should check it out and go down the list. I have no doubt you'll find more than one issue when it comes to your water filled XK. Big thread, but worth the read. -> Sun roof drain tube leaks & general things to check...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.