Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 jeep commander 65th aniv. and on the wiring harness for the heep I seem to have two power wires, neither of which seem to be connected with the ignition. I have to turn the radio off every time I get out of my jeep, why is this?

Am I missing something, both wires seem to be constant power all the time, what wire is the ignition wire???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a aftermarket now and I'm the one who installed it, my question is on the wiring harness coming out of the Jeep, I'm not sure what wire is the ignition wire? Once I have the hooked up properly I am good to go, I have never had this trouble installing a stereo before : (

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's no ignition lead at the radio, you have to wire that to the right side accessory outlet under the radio, it's a switched lead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So in order for the radio to turn on and off with the car I would have to wire it into the accessory outlet under that radio? Why is that different than that stock unit setup? If that is what I am going to have to do, can you give me the details/directions on how to wire that up>?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The new CAN systems are a little tricky. I'm not sure what all functionality they control on the Commander. The place I bought my stereo off of actually had a special adapter made to prevent loss of anything. Cost me an extra $90 bucks, but was worth it to make the install easier. The only thing I've noticed on mine is that the stereo doesn't mute when back-up assist goes off. I very minor trade-off for a good system. Sigh....I remember the good ole days of running the wires over to the fuse box.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Once you have the dash off carefully tug at the center consol where the hvac controlls are. The top of this will come loose without removing the center consol. The cigar/cigarette lighter on the LEFT side has switched power. Use a "T" tap to connect to this wire and run to the aftermarket radio.

I included a picture. Pull from the crappy red arrows.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome, I will do that, thanks for the help! Finishing an install on a valur DVD navigation system and it kills me that its not hooked up correctly right now!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Like other's have said, because of the can bus controling the factory deck, you need to wire it this way. Just cap off the can bus wires, you don't need them and follow Meatballs's advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just look for a red/green wire that comes from lighter. I hate that the radio doesn't stay on after turning key to off like stock, but it sounds great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts