Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 base model, I hate the stock stereo and since I'm on a budget I stopped at Wally World looking to replace it and confused myself rapidly with all this DIN stuff. Can someone point me in the right direction please, of course I want a decent stereo but I'm clueless as to what fits...I know I need all the adapters and what not I just don't get the DIN crap...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
The DIN is just the height of the radio. A DIN is a little over 2", so a single DIN radio will be just over 2" high, while a double DIN radio will be just over 4" high. They sell adapters for both formats and there's plenty of room for either size, so you'll simply need to select a radio and buy the correct adapter.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Also if you presently have steering wheel controls many radio's do not use them. And if you have the Bose audio, usually on the limited, there are special concerns to be able to use the rear speakers, an add on harness that is a mess to install.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Easier to just go on Ebay and find a used RER or RHR radio from another Chrysler. Those work just by plugging in mostly.

For the 2006, you just need to buy an '06 to '08 adapter for the radio harness. Those are fairly easy to come by on Ebay also.

I have a 2009 RER (NAV, Touch screen, DVD, Sirius/XM) from a Chrysler Town and Country Van. The unit plugged in and immediately knew it was in a Jeep and displayed the correct screen. I updated the radio software by purchasing the most up to date map software from Navteq and all was good.

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have the '06 base model you probably have a single DIN dash. If you have a Nav screen you have a double DIN. I just had an aftermarket radio, subs, and amp installed. Take my advice - go to a professional installer. You will have to pony up a few more bucks but it's WAY worth it. Also, it would serve you well to go to Crutchfield.com and CarID.com and learn about your Commander's sound system and the computer driven communication system, CanBus. There are several stock features to consider before you buy your wiring harness. You'll want the right one if you wish to keep your RAP. If I hadn't researched and informed myself about what was going to have to happen to install my new gear, I could have been ripped off BIG TIME. The first tech who worked on my Jeep tried, but I caught him. I don't think he was expecting me to know how to pop the dash off and look to see which wiring harness he put on the radio. But I fooled him. :grin2:

The great sound I have now was so worth all the hassle. Do it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts