Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics from trails in Stevenson, WA. They are old gas pipeline and electrical roads with scattered camp sites. Enhanced pictures and Videos to be posted soon.

Overlook

Woods

Hill Climb number 2, yes that is a person to show scale at the base (before water)

Up Face

I have a video I'm working on posting, youtube isn't cooperating, of a small vertical hill we did. We could have finished off the hill above if we had the time to keep attempting it. We got 5 or 6 good runs at it but didnt want to push to the right and into the tree line. I also had to back completely down the hill and restart the climb, I have no QDII and I'm running a V6. Still didn't do too bad considering the high pitch. The small vertical climb was more fun and less risky, so we went back.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I think QDII would have helped with that bigger hill.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
I think that is a midget, or to be pc, a "little person". JK

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahaha. Yeah QDII would have made that thing EASY as long as you had a 2" lift. There were some gnarly ruts halfway up.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Next time I'm in the area, I'll give it a go! =)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think QT II would have even helped you out a lot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep. I know. not much I can do now except rough it with the one I have. The V6 option that I got was all my insurance company was willing to pay for after I totaled my Impreza, ironically enough off roading near mount hood. I didn't total it per say, the mini-snow cat that had to pull it out did.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
runit3: I sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I like that the V8 and QDII gives you the option of taking it slow and easy vs hard and fast. However, you did good gettin' her up there! I look forward to seeing more.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zSOxxxNzB0

The cameraman didn't get the best run of any of these because he was freaking out about me spraying him with gravel on the way up the first time. :rofl: these are the rest of the runs at it spliced together. The camera is positioned another 50ft down from the top of the hill, it's on the steepest part after the main ruts. With the V6 it's an all or nothing hill climb with the remote chance of being able to rock back and forth and then up. Exciting, but risky. I would have gunned it way before the base if I had someone there to pull me out.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Moved this thread to the pictures section, The Trail Ride section is for group events.

Trail Runs / Meet & Greets
This section is to set up trail runs / meet & greets and other Commander events. Meet fellow members and get to know the faces behind the keyboard!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You sould try to locate a transfer case from a QT II and some axles with 3.73 gears and swap them into your commander. That would help you out a lot. Im down to help you install them if you get the parts. You can get the first V6 converted over!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
You sould try to locate a transfer case from a QT II and some axles with 3.73 gears and swap them into your commander. That would help you out a lot. Im down to help you install them if you get the parts. You can get the first V6 converted over!
Probably cheaper to just go buy a whole new Commander.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
cool videos. a rear locker would really help. i'd bet you could swap a QT2 transfer case in that pretty easily. the AWD transfer cases and QT2 transfer cases probably share the same bolt pattern. they all you would need to do is wire up a switch to the shifting mechanism.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I love how the XK just looks so natural out there, like it just belongs on the trail.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Probably cheaper to just go buy a whole new Commander.
I dont think so. You'd be suprised what you can find out there if you look hard enough. Especially when you have someone who volunteered to install the parts for no cost!

I've seen guys on the Ford Ranger forums do a SAS on their vehicle for under a grand using a dana 44. All you have to do is search for the parts.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
my dream for my commander, if the wife will let me.

ford 9" high pinion axles front and rear.

the front will have D60 outers.

both would have 4.56 gears and ARB or Electric Lockers.

9" can be had pretty cheap. in fact, i know where i can get one for free and one for ~$100

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmm. If I could locate a u-pull with a commander would I be able to pull the transfer case with a floor jack/stands relatively easily? Oh, and all that off roading was done without traction control, ABS, or ESP/BAS.....I still haven't made it into a shop to address my TPMS wire shredding mishap. I re-spliced the wires but apparently my computer doesn't care.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts