Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious if anyone has actually taken a stock wheel and measured to figure out what the back spacing is. If not does anyone know the exact back spacing and what the off set of the stock wheels are if there is any? I searched but only found info on the bolt pattern which I already knew. Im trying to see if ill have to do any modification to fit some 295/70R17's on a certain size wheel without it rubbing the ball joint bolt and inner wheel well.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just found a few pictures of Phunkeydudes Commander in the Uni-ball thread which answered one of my questions. He is basically running the same setup i plan on running with the super lift and a custom spacer. In the photos it clearly shows plenty of room between the tires and the ball joint bolt due to the longer steering knuckles of the 4 inch superlift. So i dont think ill have any problems with the wheels im looking at using, but still need to know the stock back spacing and off set.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I am just curious if anyone has actually taken a stock wheel and measured to figure out what the back spacing is. If not does anyone know the exact back spacing and what the off set of the stock wheels are if there is any? I searched but only found info on the bolt pattern which I already knew. Im trying to see if ill have to do any modification to fit some 295/70R17's on a certain size wheel without it rubbing the ball joint bolt and inner wheel well.
Well, this is the best I have been able to find.
There is a optional steel wheel specifically for the XK.
Part# 52124455AA Steel wheel
17"X 7.5" 47.3 MM offset
I found this info in the 08 accessory book

Now, I know you are hoping for a backspace measurement but this is the best I've been able to get.
Offset and backspace have always meant the same thing to me IE: The distance from the rim inner to the inner flange side of the rim
Usable info?
........Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. There is a difference in back spacing and off set on a wheel. The Back spacing is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel (the flat surface that mounts to the brake rotor) and the inside edge of the wheel. That number in inches is the back spacing. The smaller the number the further the wheel will stick out. The larger the number then the wheel will tuck inside the wheel well.

Now the offset is a little different. A wheel with 0 (zero) off set means that the flat surface that mounts to the rotor is exactly centered in the middle of the wheel. If it has + or - off set then its not centered. Off set also plays a little factor in how much or how little a wheel can stick out or push into the wheel well. Our stock wheels have major off set since the mounting surface is towards the outer portion of the wheel in comparison to the center of the wheel.

I hope i have not confused you. Its really hard to explain back spacing and off set.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW i was just on the Superlift website looking at the lift and it says the stock wheels have approx. 6.5 inches of backspacing. With that info and the off set you gave me I now have the answers to all of my questions. Thanks for help and quick response!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The question is, why is one in inches and the other in mm?
Well, we've been doing this half a$$ed domestic/metric measuring game in the U.S.A. for about 20 years now.
As a result, I must own tools that cover the inch spectrum AND the metric spectrum.
It gets worse.
Mechanics from my age group (+55) still express backspace as a letter code.
For example, A 5x5 1/2, 15 x 8--Double J offset
Thats a 5 STUD/ 5.5 stud diameter, 15" wheel diameter, 8" wide, flange center (the double j) rim.
So, I get to try to cipher this from time to time.
Can become the job that ate my brain!

Hope (LOL) that clarafied,
.........Rob

·
Registered
735 Posts
i am curious what wheel will fit best and if i would still need a spacer.
1.17x9, 5 on 5 Bolt PatternBackSpace 4.75 in.Max Load = 2200lbsFinish = Cast BlastHub Centric = NoOffset = -6 mm
2.17x8, 5 on 5 Bolt PatternBackSpace 4.5 in.Max Load = 2200lbsFinish = Cast BlastHub Centric = NoOffset = 0 mm

·
Registered
49 Posts
if your ordering new rims why not just order more backspacing and not worry with the spacers

looks like if you order a set of wheels with 8inches of backspacing (6.5 stock + 1.5 spacer) you will have what you want

·
Registered
3 Posts
if your ordering new rims why not just order more backspacing and not worry with the spacers

looks like if you order a set of wheels with 8inches of backspacing (6.5 stock + 1.5 spacer) you will have what you want
I think you got you numbers backwards... if you add a 1.5" spacer it would decrease the backspacing (6.5stock + 1.5" spacer= 5.0" BS)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you got you numbers backwards... if you add a 1.5" spacer it would decrease the backspacing (6.5stock + 1.5" spacer= 5.0" BS)
Exactly, he had it backwards.

BTW the Commander wheels have 6 inches of back spacing not 6.5

Someone back in the day apperently thought they were 6.5 inches so thats what was spread around the forum. No one actually took the time to take off a wheel and measure them. I got around to it one day and found out they have 6 inches of back spacing.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'm not sure about the stock wheel off-set,, but I have pic of the back of the wheel showing the different marks on it,, I don't if it can tell anything !!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exactly, he had it backwards.

BTW the Commander wheels have 6 inches of back spacing not 6.5

Someone back in the day apperently thought they were 6.5 inches so thats what was spread around the forum. No one actually took the time to take off a wheel and measure them. I got around to it one day and found out they have 6 inches of back spacing.
I'm new to this forum stuff, but big jeep enthusiast. You seem well educated on the commander, I just bought an 06 limited, 4.7L for the wife and have been researching lifts and tires. I myself have a 98 cherokee w/ 4.5" rustys kit 32x11.50 STT's, but want something descent for her with no rubbing at all what brand lift and tire size would you recommend, i see alot of 265/65R17 but worried about rubbing... thanks
P.S. how do you put your vehicle info on the bottom of your posts ...?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I'm new to this forum stuff, how do you put your vehicle info on the bottom of your posts ...?
Go to user CP (found in the grey bar) and then edit your signature.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahmed,

On the second picture you posted just underneith where it says 17x7.5 is the wheel offset, (43.8) which is equivalent to 6 inches of back spacing.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm new to this forum stuff, but big jeep enthusiast. You seem well educated on the commander, I just bought an 06 limited, 4.7L for the wife and have been researching lifts and tires. I myself have a 98 cherokee w/ 4.5" rustys kit 32x11.50 STT's, but want something descent for her with no rubbing at all what brand lift and tire size would you recommend, i see alot of 265/65R17 but worried about rubbing... thanks
P.S. how do you put your vehicle info on the bottom of your posts ...?
I love my BDS lift but honestly any spacer lift that uses steel spacers is a good lift in my opinion (I'm not to fond of poly spacers). If you dont mind spending the money and want a really good lift get the 2 inch Old Man Emu lift. It uses springs instead of spacers and will give you an amazing ride due to the new springs and nitrogen shocks/struts. As for tires if you dont want rubbing id go with either a 245/70R17 or a 255/70R17. You can go a little bigger if you bend over the pinch weld and re mold the inner plastic fender well. Again just my .02

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Ahmed,

On the second picture you posted just underneith where it says 17x7.5 is the wheel offset, (43.8) which is equivalent to 6 inches of back spacing.
I never knew what all those numbers and marks mean except the 17x7.5, I just took the photos thinking about such a situation when someone might ask about wheel information. I think this answers your inquires if I'm not wrong!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi I just joined the Commander forum because of this interesting thread. I was trying to work out the back spacing of my Commander wheels. Everyone was stating 6.25” but I could only come up with 6.00’ when I measured my wheels. Yes, it's definately 6.00" and the off set is 48.3mm as noted on the rear of the wheel.
See the 300c forum for a good explanation on off set:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/wheel-tire-discussion/25220-how-measure-wheel-offset.html

Now the reason I was chasing up this info is, do standard JK wheels and tyres fit onto a Commander with a 2’ lift. I have OME coils with 2” at the front and 2.5” at the rear with Bilstien shocks? The JK tyre size is (255/75R17 (32") Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour All Terrain) on 17" x 8.0" alloy rims with 5 x5" Wheel Stud Pattern and 6.25" backspacing. (I wonder if the JK really do have 6.25” back spacing?)

So has anyone out there tried to fit JK wheels to their Commander and if so does it require any mods to the gards or pinch welds etc?
I look forward to your feed back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts