Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 08 and it's about to need a new set of tires. Not ready to start any mods yet, so wanted to see if I can jump up the size or would anything over the stock rub?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stock tire size should be 245/65/17
Largest without a lift is 255/65/17 but you might get some rubbing at full lock depending on what tires you choose.

I like my GoodYear SilentArmors so far, I haven't had them long enough to really report on long term mileage though.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
In the Tire / Wheel section there is a " sticky " thread for this. Here is the link.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

The OEM tires were Goodyear Forteras. Now they may not be the best tire out there but I have over 50K on my set. If yours only have 20K then you may want to check the alignment first. This is directly from the sticky :
Stock Jeep Commanders or Commanders using the 1/4" leveling spacer can fit the following tire sizes WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing:

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17 BFGoodrich All Terrians (might have minor rubbing)
255/65R17

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So maybe the dealer or prior owner put the 265/65 Bridgestones on I guess? Or could possiblly these came with overland package? I havnt experienced any rub.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As far as I know, all trim models came with same tire , 245/65R17 Fortera. And I can't believe that you are running 265/65 with no rubbing. You would need to be lifted, run wheel spacers, and bend the pinch weld and remold the inner fender splash shield to accomplish that. Take some pics of the tire / size lettering on said Jeep for us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smitty - took some pics but cant seem to upload from iPhone. But they are 265 65 17 as mentioned. I check and don't see any rubbing under the wells.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah, maybe it has been lifted. Look on top of the struts and see if there is a 2" spacer between the strut and the pocket in which the strut mounts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It looks like it is sitting pretty level, unless the ground is. If it is level it is most likely lifted or has a leveling spacer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the same situation as Pete. I purchased my 06 Commander used and when looking into purchasing new tires noticed my commander currently has Dunlop AT20's 265 65 17R's on it. I'm looking at purchasing Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds. After seeing what is currently on my commander I'm torn between purchasin the Triple Treds in 245 65 17R's or 265 65 17R's

·
Registered
2 Posts
265/65r17

I just installed Falken Rocky Mountain ATS 265/65R17 on my bone stock '06 Commander. No rubbing at all.

Bought them through Discount Tire Direct for $645, delivered to my door, then $60 to mount and ballance them at a local shop.

They look and drive great, although I haven't had them off-road yet.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hmmm. So people are fitting 265/65's on their stock commanders without rubbing?? Not sure how that is possible. Prior to my new setup I had 265/70's and even with a 2 inch lift and pinch weld mod I still rubbed every once and a while off road. You might not have rubbing on road but if you were to take it off road and flex it out I bet you would rub like crazy. All XK with 17 inch wheels came stock with 245/65R17's. Look at the plackard on the inside the drives side door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't get the pictures to post on this thread, but if you go to my profile, they are there.

XK, it is quite possible they would rub off-road. I have not had mine anywhere further than driving over a curb since I put the 265's on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Two months ago I put 265/65/17 on my 2006 XK Falken Wild Peaks, which are the same as the Rocky Mountain. However I have a 2" Daystar leveling kit with no spacers, and even like that i get some rubbing (although very little) when fully flexed and wheel turned. I also would like to see how they do not rub stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts