Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the stock Sirius Tuner is located in a 2008 Commander. I would like to use the stock antenna when doing a double din stereo/nav upgrade. But before i tear it apart i would like to find the tuners location.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I could be very wrong, but I thought the Sirius unit is under the middle seats. I'll double check my answer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you flip your passenger side middle seat forward and then remove the carpeted cover you see under the seat, you'll see a Sirius unit there. The serial number on top matched my Sirius Video S/N that comes up on the SAT Information screen. I don't know if there are other units in the vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
2007 Service Manual:
The satellite receiver is located in the right rear quarter area behind the trim panel. It is secured with three mounting fasteners

REMOVAL
WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioner, side airbag, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Fold and tumble the right outboard second row seat assembly forward.
3. Remove the carpeted cover panel from over the cavity on the right outboard end of the intermediate step assembly.
4. Remove the mounting fasteners.
5. Disconnect the antenna and electrical harness connectors.
6. Remove the module.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I could be very wrong, but I thought the Sirius unit is under the middle seats. I'll double check my answer.
06 and 07 the receiver is mounted under the second row, outboard seat on the passenger side. There is a piece of ribbed plastic, actually the step for the third row. The cover pops off and it is mounted under there. It is held on with velcro. In 08 and newer, the receiver is integrated with the radio. Got to love the newer electronics!

2007 Service Manual:
The satellite receiver is located in the right rear quarter area behind the trim panel. It is secured with three mounting fasteners

REMOVAL
WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioner, side airbag, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Fold and tumble the right outboard second row seat assembly forward.
3. Remove the carpeted cover panel from over the cavity on the right outboard end of the intermediate step assembly.
4. Remove the mounting fasteners.
5. Disconnect the antenna and electrical harness connectors.
6. Remove the module.
This picture is for the GC, not the Commander. When I was looking to purchase the Sirius receiver, I wanted to see how hard it would be to do it myself. The instructions for the installation on the Mopar site were for the GC, not the Commander. Think about it: that location is for the third row heat/AC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In 08 and newer, the receiver is integrated with the radio. Got to love the newer electronics!
Well, I learned something new. Thanks. Stuff like this makes think about my friend's old Jeep Wagoneer we rode around in during high school. It was big, it was orange and it was easy to work on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I learned something new. Thanks. Stuff like this makes think about my friend's old Jeep Wagoneer we rode around in during high school. It was big, it was orange and it was easy to work on.
I was wondering cause i flipped the seat down and didnt see a tuner in that location. I think im gonna document the whole double din nav install with pictures so maybe i could help someone else in the future. Andre i understand what your talking about. I also have a 1969 Chevrolet C10 pickup which is REALLY easy to work on. Thanks everyone for your help. Tonight i start the install. We will see how it goes.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I was wondering cause i flipped the seat down and didnt see a tuner in that location. I think im gonna document the whole double din nav install with pictures so maybe i could help someone else in the future.
Your initial post asked where the receiver was on an 08. I posted that in an 08, the receiver was integrated into the radio. So, you won't find it under the back seat! Sirius was an option in 06 and 07 (the receiver was a separate unit mounted under the back seat), and then became standard when the sirius receiver was integrated into the head unit in 08 and beyond. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your initial post asked where the receiver was on an 08. I posted that in an 08, the receiver was integrated into the radio. So, you won't find it under the back seat! Sirius was an option in 06 and 07 (the receiver was a separate unit mounted under the back seat), and then became standard when the sirius receiver was integrated into the head unit in 08 and beyond. :eek:rangehat:
Yeah i realized that after i couldnt find it. Andre and cico7 posted before you did about the location. Andre said under the seat and cico7 said it was in the right rear quarter which is true for other years. I tried looking for it before you even posted your response. But thank you for posting that i wouldve been looking forever for it.:)

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Yeah i realized that after i couldnt find it. Andre and cico7 posted before you did about the location. Andre said under the seat and cico7 said it was in the right rear quarter which is true for other years. I tried looking for it before you even posted your response. But thank you for posting that i wouldve been looking forever for it.:)
cico7's picture is from the GC, not the Commander. That location is where the heat/AC unit is located for the third row. I stand by my original post. 06 and 07, the receiver is under the seat. 08 and above, the receiver is integrated into the head unit. I just didn't want you wasting your time and getting all frustrated like me! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cico7's picture is from the GC, not the Commander. That location is where the heat/AC unit is located for the third row. I stand by my original post. 06 and 07, the receiver is under the seat. 08 and above, the receiver is integrated into the head unit. I just didn't want you wasting your time and getting all frustrated like me! :eek:rangehat:
Understandable, i dont want to waste time looking for it either. Thanks again.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts