• Kumho KL78

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im gonna need a new set of tires in the next few months and want to hear from people who have stock(non-lifted) commanders with stock size AT tires. I want to know how much if any they affected your mileage, noise and tread life. Thanks! :thumbsup:

At this point im probably gonna end up with GY Forteras, but i wouldn't mind something a little more aggressive if it wont kill my mileage! Also feel free to comment on any other tire you may have......

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my Commander used and it had a set of Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country tires on it. I wanted something a little more agressive, so I put on a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s in factory size. I absolutely love them. I saw no decrease in mileage, they were only marginally noisier than the Uniroyals, and they actually handle a little better in the dry, and a lot better in the wet. Sorry, I have no experience with Forteras.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought my Commander used and it had a set of Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country tires on it. I wanted something a little more agressive, so I put on a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s in factory size. I absolutely love them. I saw no decrease in mileage, they were only marginally noisier than the Uniroyals, and they actually handle a little better in the dry, and a lot better in the wet. Sorry, I have no experience with Forteras.
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what i wanted to know! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I didn't think the GY Forteras com in an A/T. I would recommend the GY Silent Armors. I had them before the Revos I'm running now. The Silent Armors ran great, and I didn't notice any real difference in mileage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah the Fortera's don't come in an AT tread but they are more aggressive than most standard "straight" tread tires, and I can get them for $107each at the moment ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to put tires on my stock 2008. I wanted to get bigger tires but choices are really limited and 265x75x17 BFG's were too big :( I also wanted a better tire for offroad than the Goodyear's that come stock on the Jeep.

I ended up with 245x70x17 General Grabber AT2 tires. They were $161/ea at Discount. Nice aggressive tread and seem to have pretty good offroad ratings. Ride is a bit bouncier than my stock tires but hey, I'll give up a little ride comfort/noise for offroad capability. BFG TA KO's were a little over $200 each! Nitto's were around $190/ea I think.

The Fortera's are ok, they only lasted me 50K with proper rotation. My (previous) BFG TA KO's lasted 65K on a different 4x4. Offroad the Fortera's didn't do so well in clay-mud, which is everywhere in Texas. Sand was great because they didn't have a deep tread. Not sure how well they do on rock.

If offroad is important, you might want to check this site:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/AT-All_Terrains.htm

I've only had my new tires a couple days so haven't had a chance to really test them yet. Although I did get to test them on wet roads - they worked great.

Hope that helps!

PS: Just in driving my slightly larger tires in 2 days my AVG/MPG has gone up .2 miles to 13.4 (its a 5.7L hemi) - woo hoo!

·
Registered
244 Posts
When i had my 05 F150 it came the General Grabbers. I been cross country with them twice pulling a RV Travel Trailer in tow and i got 70k miles out of them. They are a Great tire. I will get them again for mt XK when needed.
Steve.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not to be a jerk or anything but if your looking mpg ur driving the wrong vehicle. i think theres a prius with your name on it. my experience with the forteras was terrible. horrible in snow, mud, rain. tread life was a joke im runnin the terra grapplers now for about 25,000miles and they still look brand new (rotate every oil change). no road noise and look bad a$$. mpg sux... but they are oversize a/t tires u gotta expect that. my opinion... It's a jeep! put some big gnarly tires on it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to be a jerk or anything but if your looking mpg ur driving the wrong vehicle. i think theres a prius with your name on it. my experience with the forteras was terrible. horrible in snow, mud, rain. tread life was a joke im runnin the terra grapplers now for about 25,000miles and they still look brand new (rotate every oil change). no road noise and look bad a$$. mpg sux... but they are oversize a/t tires u gotta expect that. my opinion... It's a jeep! put some big gnarly tires on it! :thumbsup:
Don't worry i hated the stock size tires and am running bigger AT tires, why is it a bad thing to try and get the best mileage possible, and why the heck would i want a prius, if it gets bad enough that i need a prius i'll walk:thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't worry i hated the stock size tires and am running bigger AT tires, why is it a bad thing to try and get the best mileage possible, and why the heck would i want a prius, if it gets bad enough that i need a prius i'll walk:thumbsup:
hahaha its not bad to want better mpg im just sayin for me if it came down to street tires(fortera's) to save a few bucks in gas and a/t's... im pickin a/t's. but i live in ohio... snow, ice, potholes galore, and the ocassional off-roadin. J/k about the prius thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts