Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is it just me or r the stock tires really bad in the mud. and climbing up wet hills ne way i got cooper st's and they r great! i recommend them for a stock commander.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
The stock tires are made for the asphalt - only.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I have stock tires and went to Flagpole knob with out any problems. I didnt try to climb anything too steep either.

For a daily driver and minor off road excursions, they are fine. Handle the local snow very well.

By the way, :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb: on your post.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
For a daily driver and minor off road excursions, they are fine. Handle the local snow very well.
I totally agree with this ,,, don't spend money in something you would need rarely.

And I would add that the stock tires are very ok for sand driving ,, I have off-roaded my stock tires on sand dunes for a year and changed them after 32K

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I was actually sort of impressed with the stock tires. They seemed to work well for me at GWNF and Rausch Creek.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Stock tires just have a shorter treadlife... vs what Goodyear supposedly says it has a 60K mile warranty... I still don't know how that's possible. I'm at 29K, and in the market to replace these Goodyear Forteras as they're right near the treadwear markings.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
If you're looking to replace, and were in my area sometime soon, I happen to have a set of five (including the spare that still resides in my spare tire slot) decent (12k) stock tires that are just taking up space in the garage and the wife would love to sell.

I think the stock tires were ok for DRY conditions - I did take mine offroading and even with steep hills they were ok. However, once I had my ATs on, there just was no comparison to the stock tires. So, in retrospect, the stock tires are ok for a lot of things, but if you really want to experience all the wonderous places your Jeep can go, you'll have to do it without the stock tires.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just replaced the stock Fortera's about a month ago for some larger tires to go along with my BDS Suspension lift. They had exactly 30,000 miles on them and had more then half the tread left. I rotated the tires basically every other oil change. The main reason I got rid of them was because I wanted a better tire for the snow since I was moving back home to NY. Also I wanted to fill up the wheel wells a little more after installing the BDS Lift.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm still waiting on mine to wear down enough for me to justify replacing them. We're at close to 55,000 miles and we still have good tread. We had it in for alignment this past weekend and I think they said there was about 6/32nds left on the worst tire. The wear markers are at 2/32nds. In terms of bad weather, I feel more comfortable in the Jeep with the Fortera's than I do my truck with General tires.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I hear a lot of Commander owners say that the stock Fortera's tread life is bad, but honestly I think that they dont take care of their tires properly. If you have them balanced and rotated on a regular basis, youd be suprised how long you can get them to last.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Mine still had decent tread left when I replaced them at 52000 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My wife was a little upset with me after I just installed the new Bridgestone's knowing that the old tires had plenty of tread on them. Oh well I guess.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I quite like the stock tires on dry pavement. they are quiet and smooth. I only have 34000 kilometres on my truck so the tread is still great. Having said that, they suck in the rain and little snow we get here so I am looking to replace mine in the next couple of months for something bigger and better.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I hear a lot of Commander owners say that the stock Fortera's tread life is bad, but honestly I think that they dont take care of their tires properly. If you have them balanced and rotated on a regular basis, youd be suprised how long you can get them to last.

I rotate and balance my tires every 6K miles on all my vehicles, and I have never had a set of tires last over 35K on any vehicle that came from the dealership. With the same set (Fortera's) I purchased from Discount Tires I have over 50K on them and their barely worn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts