Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys/gals, let me start by saying i did a brief search and didnt find the answer i was looking for.

i'm not looking to do a lift (may change my mind later, who knows lol) and i'd like to have a meatier/meaner looking tire on my commander. will a 245/70/17 work without a lift? what would be any other options for this thing without other modifications? or are there any at all?

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Several members on the forum are running 245/70R17's without any lift. Its definately possible. While your at it you should throw on some 1/4 inch leveling spacers to help bring up the front end a hair. Very cheap and easy to install. They just sit on top of the strut top plate. I might just have a pair id be willing to sell next week. Mostlikely taking off bds spacer and leveling spacer and adding Old Man Emu coils and struts up front.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you come up with some for sale, I just might take them off your hands. Thanks for the info!

I also did a little research and found that the 2" rc lift is ALOT cheaper than I expected so I may end up doing that after all. The only thing that would stop me would be that I wouldn't be able to fit it in my garage. Hell, I had to remove the roof rack to get it to clear my garage door as it sits! Lol.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you come up with some for sale, I just might take them off your hands. Thanks for the info!

I also did a little research and found that the 2" rc lift is ALOT cheaper than I expected so I may end up doing that after all. The only thing that would stop me would be that I wouldn't be able to fit it in my garage. Hell, I had to remove the roof rack to get it to clear my garage door as it sits! Lol.
Is your grage door opening so that it is fully horizontal? If not, then the door may be the restriction and not the opening.

I had the problem with mine... the opening was adequate, but the door was 2 inches lower... A twist if the set screw on the opener and POOF! Problem solved. Now the door opener pulls the door back further so that it is as high as the physical opening.

Maybe you will be that lucky too!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
With a lift and talled tires you would be sitting at least an additional 3 inches taller then you are currently. If you already had to remove the roof rack chances are you wouldnt fit with the lift and tires.

·
Registered
362 Posts
With a lift and talled tires you would be sitting at least an additional 3 inches taller then you are currently. If you already had to remove the roof rack chances are you wouldnt fit with the lift and tires.
My XK sits 3 inches taller than stock. After I changed my door opener settings to draw the door open further, the XK then fit in my garage with the stock roof rack and stock cross bars installed.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I understand that. But his garage door might be different then yours. I have a 2 inch spacer lift on my XK with 32's and I have plenty of room still. I can add a 4 inch with with 33's and still just clear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your grage door opening so that it is fully horizontal? If not, then the door may be the restriction and not the opening.

I had the problem with mine... the opening was adequate, but the door was 2 inches lower... A twist if the set screw on the opener and POOF! Problem solved. Now the door opener pulls the door back further so that it is as high as the physical opening.

Maybe you will be that lucky too!
i think that might be the case. i actually have to install the opener. just moved into the new house and my garage is the lower garage and it didnt have one when we moved in. it looks like the springs on it (for manual operation) restrict how far it can open. so hopefully once the opener is up, it will have a little more range. even if the jeep has to stay outside, its not the end of the world. she'll still have covered parking, just not enclosed. at least the GTO still fits! LOL

·
Registered
362 Posts
i think that might be the case. i actually have to install the opener. just moved into the new house and my garage is the lower garage and it didnt have one when we moved in. it looks like the springs on it (for manual operation) restrict how far it can open. so hopefully once the opener is up, it will have a little more range. even if the jeep has to stay outside, its not the end of the world. she'll still have covered parking, just not enclosed. at least the GTO still fits! LOL
My door would sit lower w/o the door opener conected too. The springs do sag a bit and allow the door to hang lower than it needs to.

If you push it open with your hand and it opens "higher" AND the opening is then tall enoght for the XK, you'll be in business.

Back to the XK lift, I did the RC 2" and switched to 245/75/17's (even the spare). The look is great. Handling is still good and I adjusted the speedometer with a Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator. By the way, I no longer need it, so it is like new, boxed up in my house... ;) .

If you have a OEM hitch, the upsized spare will need to be partially deflated to store under the XK. My XK has no hitch, so the 245/75/17 spare fits fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good Info!!! thanks man! now i just gotta get off my lazy duff and get the opener on there lol
Wow, your garage is two deep?!? I am envious. That is cool.

Mine is just a two car, side by side. Right now my wife's Stratus R/T coupe and my C5 are sleeping... The XK is out in the snow (but it likes playing in the snow).

There are lots of threads on the RC lift. It is a full weekend job with hand tools. Make sure the GTO is accessible for emergency part, special tool and beer runs :) .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, the upper garage is 2 bays side by side, mine is a single slot, two deep. dad's got serious health issues, so i'm living with the 'rents and they get the upper garage. and when the lift goes on, the gto and the C will be swapping places lol. GOTTA keep the beer stocked while workin on em! (or the afterparty anyway lol)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts