Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove a brand new Commander off the lot 2 days ago and thought I would add my 2 cents. Started out looking at used ones but with all the employee pricing and cash rebate incentives, the new ones are almost as cheap as the ones with a few miles. If any-one is interested in the details of the transaction for comparison, I will gladly post. Hurry though. I think all the discounts end on July 31 (at least thats what they told me-those tricky salespeople:rolleyes:)
I ended up with one that from what i can tell is pretty much loaded with everything except for the DVD player and the chrome wheels(didn't want those anyway). I had the dealer swap a couple of things out to kind of customize it for me. I was surprised at how willing they were to do this, given that the parts had to be swapped with other cars on the lot. I may post pictures on the picture thread.

Jeep Green Limited with Hemi, saddle brown seats(these were really a selling point for me, i think they are sweeeeeet), backup camera, rear air etc.

Dealer Modifications:
1) I had the dealer swap the chrome grill for a Jeep Green grill. I am not a big fan of chrome and I kind of like the monochrome look.
2)I had them swap the standard wheels for the grey wheels that come on the 65th anniv edition. I think this adds to the sort of darker monochrome look and it makes me think that brake dust won't be so noticable.

My possible modifications:
1)The dealer did not have the parts to do this, but I think I am going to swap the chrome door nameplates for the black ones that come on other models (I find my self getting used to the way the chrome looks however so I may not do this)
2)Definitely like the look of the running boards i have seen on some of the models posted here. Black or maybe Jeep green(no chrome!!)My previous car had running boards and I like having the step there for getting in and out.
3)some sort of grill guard in black
4)my tires happened to be installed with the white letters showing. I don't really mind this but i may have them reversed so they just show the plain black side- a little less flashy, i mean it is a jeep, right?
5) The one thing that I do not like is the allen bolts on the fenders. I may try to replace these. Does anyone know if these are a standard bolt or are they Jeep specific? Anyone tried to remove one yet?

Thoughts:
Don't drive one of these with the Hemi if you think you only want the 4.7(and I wouldn't even consider the v6-but thats just my opinion) To me there is a big difference and I would always be thinking I am missing something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats the consensus? does anyone else dislike the allen bolts??

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as the running boards go, the Mopar black moulded sidesteps are way to go for easy mounting and the way they match the rear deck cover. The hardest part is finding one of those funky plastic rivet installers to use for 2 stinkin rivets that don't do a whole lot.;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any idea where i could find the installation guide oneline for those- just so I know what I am in for?? Are you saying you have to use some sort of special rivets to install the running boards? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Two plastic rivets only, one on each side up front in the base of the wheel wells. I still haven't installed them, it's been 2 months now :p. There is a plastic cover (4 small bolts and 2 wire tyes) that must be temporally removed on the passenger side. The rest of the installation is straight foward, it's a direct replacement for the black rocker covers. You will destroy the old covers removing them. It's easier to put on the sides with the rear tires removed to help with the rear mounting plastic ribbed push clips. The three mounting brackets on each side make the steps as sturdy as my 2003 Dodge Ram's steel tube style units. My wife and kids love them. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.