Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange extra hole that appears to have been drilled into the underside of the hood along the passenger side. It is located about 1/3 of the way back from the front and drilled into the sheet metal along the perimeter/outer edge.

I can't figure out why this would have been done and I bought the vehicle used from Carmax.

Any ideas?

AR

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a photo of the "extra hole"

Well I guess mine is custom....not sure if I wanted it, but..

Here is the photo (with any luck - 1st time posting photo)...

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're lucky that bullet hole didn't go all the way through! Must have been a 25 or 32 ACP.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i agree looks like a bullet hole.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I don't believe thats a bullet hole, but I would take it back to carmax and have them explain what the hole is all about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree not a bullet hole.

I am thinking that possibly they drilled a hole to pop out a dent on the top of the hood. There's no evidence of a dent though....

So I'm just guessing...

I am taking it in for a 30 day check up an to repair a few minor things. I'll ask.

AR

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Right there is exactly why I dont like buying used. You have no clue what the last owner has done to the vehicle, if the serviced it properly or how hard they beat on it.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Yes, the guys who do paintless dent removal usually have to drill holes like that to remove dents. I had a dent on the hood of one of my old cars when a branch broke off a tree during a storm. Unfortunately, they had to drill two very similar holes under my hood to get their tools in from underneath to pop the dent out. The guy was finished in about 30 minutes and when he was done it looked like I never had a dent there in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
No, its metal, I have a dent from a tree branch that I need to get fixed when I have money rolling in again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a dent in the tailgate of my Commander from when my park-assist waited till after impact to alert me that I was about to hit my garbage can. I had a painless dent guy come out and fix it. He drilled the aforementioned hole, but was professional enough to put a rubber hole plug in it when finished.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can say definitively that it's a "dentbuster" of similar repair access hole. Funny that during the day I couldn't make out anything in the sheet metal. Then just tonight I caught it at just the right angle under a Sliver Halide parking lot light. Can barely tell, but it is there....prior dent repaired....pretty well I'd say.

Mystery solved.

AR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts