Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the past couple of weeks I've been noticing a strange rattling/clunking sound coming from the area of the front-right wheel well/hood area every time I drive the right side over a bump.
I took the car to a shop thinking it was something wrong with the suspension, but they looked at and tested everything and couldn't find anything wrong other than my FR CV is shot (I've ordered a new set of Mopar front CVs which should arrive next week).

I looked inside the wheel well myself and couldn't find anything loose, and also looked under the hood and the only thing that was loose was my cold air intake duct. I've fixed the duct (with a good ol' stainless steel #8 screw), but the rattling persists and I was hoping that somebody might have some suggestions for what else might be causing it...

I haven't noticed any degradation in the handling so far, but the sound seems to be getting louder/happens more often, and I'm starting to worry again...

Cheers,
T

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
So over the past couple of weeks I've been noticing a strange rattling/clunking sound coming from the area of the front-right wheel well/hood area every time I drive the right side over a bump.
I took the car to a shop thinking it was something wrong with the suspension, but they looked at and tested everything and couldn't find anything wrong other than my FR CV is shot (I've ordered a new set of Mopar front CVs which should arrive next week).

I looked inside the wheel well myself and couldn't find anything loose, and also looked under the hood and the only thing that was loose was my cold air intake duct. I've fixed the duct (with a good ol' stainless steel #8 screw), but the rattling persists and I was hoping that somebody might have some suggestions for what else might be causing it...

I haven't noticed any degradation in the handling so far, but the sound seems to be getting louder/happens more often, and I'm starting to worry again...

Cheers,
T
Check all of your bushings (sway bar, control arms, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

Cheers,
T
Upper control arms bushings would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Cheers,
T
Whenever a new front end clunk appears, it’s always my sway bar bushings. I’ve gone through 3 sets of them over the years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took the Jeep to a local 4x4 shop (TRU Automotive in Denver, those guys are really great and I highly recommend them if you're on the lookout for a good shop in the area), and they swapped out my front CVs (the passenger side was shot and the driver side was probably close) and they also found and fixed two leaks in the transmission lines.
They did a full inspection of the suspension and drivetrain and everything was fine, so the rattling isn't caused by anything there (which is a huge relief).

I did some digging though and I think that I found the source of the rattling which is the rear section of the front right inner fender liner which seems so be quite loose (moves around by about half an inch while the driver side doesn't move at all). I'll try wedging something between the liner and the plastic pin that holds it down and give it a test drive to see if that was really it, but if it is does anyone know the part number for the liner pins?

Cheers,
T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I wedged a piece of cardboard and the rattling continued, which means that the looses liner isn't the problem, but I noticed that there are those four unoccupied holes next to the liner that on the driver side have a metal bracket attached to them. Anyone know what/if anything is supposed to attach there on the front passenger side?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a comparison:

Driver side:

Passenger (rattling) side:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea, but, if nobody answers you sooner, I'll take a look at my XK when I get home on December 6th.
Thanks man! I looked through all my pictures and couldn't find any of the front passenger wheel well...

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks man! I looked through all my pictures and couldn't find any of the front passenger wheel well...
Well if you can bare with me another couple of weeks, I'll take a pic of my front passenger wheel well and post it here;

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if you can bare with me another couple of weeks, I'll take a pic of my front passenger wheel well and post it here;
Since it was checked and the suspension etc. is all fine, then it's more of an annoyance than anything else, so there's no rush at all.

Once the weather dries up here (we got over 18" of snow today), I'll do some more digging and see if I find anything else loose.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
85 Posts

Mine looks the same as yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so after almost three months the problem has finally been fixed!!!!!
Turns out the FR strut mount was bad/damaged and allowed the stem of the shock to slosh around every time I drove over a bump!
I guess that's the lesson: either do it yourself or take it to actual jeep/4x4 experts and not any local shop that claims to know what their doing... :/
At least nothing else was damaged in the process so I'm only out the cost of the new mount and the labor, but man, I forgot how quiet the XK is when it's not rattling like crazy over every tiny bump in the road...

Not to concentrate on more important matters, like upsizing my tires and picking new wheels (any suggestions are appreciated).

Cheers,
T

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe I should double check my RC strut mounts. I replaced visibly worn out front diff mount bushings, and replaced the stabilizer bushings and now have a noise at the left front suspension. I've pulled the wheel and tried moving and shaking everything but don't see anything moving. I installed the lift myself for the very reasons you said not to take it to a shop, but maybe I'm the one that didn't tighten something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I should double check my RC strut mounts. I replaced visibly worn out front diff mount bushings, and replaced the stabilizer bushings and now have a noise at the left front suspension. I've pulled the wheel and tried moving and shaking everything but don't see anything moving. I installed the lift myself for the very reasons you said not to take it to a shop, but maybe I'm the one that didn't tighten something?

If you want to check the strut mount yourself you'll have to fully remove it. The part that was broken/damaged was visible only if you remove the strut and look into it the mount, where what looked like a washer inside was visibly moving around inside the housing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts