Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing my Rocky Road lift in the next couple weeks. I ordered it with the optional shocks, and am wondering about my front struts:

1.) What should I replace my stock front struts with to keep the suspension uniform? I need to replace them anyway.

2.) Does the manufacturer of Rocky Road's Shocks make matching struts?

3.)Should I just cancel the Rocky Road Shocks and go with something completely different?

Any input is AWESOME.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
AJ-
At this point, the only thing to replace your struts with are new factory struts. Nobody makes a stock or lift replacement. All kits I've seen, from the 2" BB's to the 4" kits all use spacers on the top of the strut to get the lift. You can effectively change the spring rate by adding a shim between the top of the spring and the strut top plate, such as the Superlift 4" kit does.

As for the rear shocks, I used the RR shocks and didn't really mind the ride. They were slightly stiffer than stock but not bad at all. My 2.25" lift was only on the '06 for about 6 months. When it was removed, one of the RR shocks was already leaking. A lot of guys on the forum prefer the Bilsteins and now, I would agree. When I get around to installing the 2.25" lift on my wife's '08, I will not reuse the RR shocks. You may want to go with the bilsteins, though you'll dish out a little more green for those, they're excellent quality.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Bilstein makes a replacement with more travel than stock. Check out shox.com for these, that's where I got mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
I talked to Kevin at Rocky Road, and he suggested that I stay with stock struts up front, since their shock is closer to stock.

I think I am going to try out their shocks and see how they wear. Then I might upgrade to Bilstein later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts