Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought Commander to shop, appears I need to replace front struts, mounts, lower ball joint. Anyone have a diagram of this? Where is a good place to purchase these? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Any auto store, brick & motor or online, can get you those parts, as well as the dealer and dealer parts are sold online for a reduced price as well.

Strut Mounts should be changed with the struts, struts will wear out, so that makes sense. Lower ball joints? That is NOT a common wear out part.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Upper ball joints tend to go out before the lowers. Luckily the lower ball joint is replaceable.

front lower ball joint
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1287923&cc=1434535&jnid=419&jpid=11

Is your XK lifted?

How the heck is the strut mount damaged? The rubber isolator sure, but the mount should be fine.

lower front strut isolator
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1832214&cc=1434535&jnid=418&jpid=3

upper strut isolator
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1831826&cc=1434535&jnid=418&jpid=2

Front shocks for stock height:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-BE5D721H0-Front-Absorber-Cherokee/dp/B00BD3G2IC[/ame]

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
How the heck is the strut mount damaged? The rubber isolator sure, but the mount should be fine.
The rubber isolator for the strut is integral in the strut mount. Even if the rubber looks fine, i.e. no cracking, chunking or tearing, the rubber can soften and become more pliable with all the stress and force its exposed to over 100k miles. Its generally a prudent step to just replace the strut mount with the strut (or a shock that is put together much like a strut in the case of the Commander).

If the strut mount ever did go bad, it requires redoing the entire job of replacing the strut to get the old strut mount out and a new one in. So to avoid the chance of having to do the job twice, its prudent to replace the other part that could be close to wearing out while you're doing the job.

The other, like I said, the rubber bushing in the strut does wear (even if it looks ok), it arguably does make a difference in performance to replace the strut mount with the strut.

I just did my shock/struts on my Commander, and replaced the strut mounts with it. I noticed I've gained some ride height in the front, and likely my front had sagged some. I don't know for sure, I would have to see a cross-section diagram of the strut mount, but it could be the fresh strut mount that got me the ride height back. Wish I had measured before and after, so I could tell and report for sure, instead of just guessing, well, it looks higher than before. It could be the bilstein shock itself (maybe a slightly higher spring perch or lower clevis mount) or just the new rubber isolators as well.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The rubber isolator for the strut is integral in the strut mount. Even if the rubber looks fine, i.e. no cracking, chunking or tearing, the rubber can soften and become more pliable with all the stress and force its exposed to over 100k miles. Its generally a prudent step to just replace the strut mount with the strut (or a shock that is put together much like a strut in the case of the Commander).

If the strut mount ever did go bad, it requires redoing the entire job of replacing the strut to get the old strut mount out and a new one in. So to avoid the chance of having to do the job twice, its prudent to replace the other part that could be close to wearing out while you're doing the job.

The other, like I said, the rubber bushing in the strut does wear (even if it looks ok), it arguably does make a difference in performance to replace the strut mount with the strut.

I just did my shock/struts on my Commander, and replaced the strut mounts with it. I noticed I've gained some ride height in the front, and likely my front had sagged some. I don't know for sure, I would have to see a cross-section diagram of the strut mount, but it could be the fresh strut mount that got me the ride height back. Wish I had measured before and after, so I could tell and report for sure, instead of just guessing, well, it looks higher than before. It could be the bilstein shock itself (maybe a slightly higher spring perch or lower clevis mount) or just the new rubber isolators as well.
You can't just replace the upper rubber strut isolator? I can't fathom a situation where the strut mount itself is completely worn out. It's not a wearable item unless the studs are stripped, in which case you can press them out and replace those, which wouldn't make sense due to the relatively cheap price to replace the mount.

Its only like $25 for the whole mount so I suppose you could have some peace of mind to replace the whole strut mount assembly instead of simply replacing the bushings.

I didn't replace mine when I installed my bilstein 5100's. OEM spring isolators appeared fine so I left them.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
No the bushing is NOT sold separately, and although it doesn't look like its in there that hard of a press fit, the bolt compresses them.

I've seen it and I've compared old and new in strut mounts and engine mounts. The stress makes the rubber softer and more pliable, there is less resistance and thus less isolation then a new one.

On macpherson strut suspensions, re-using old strut mounts have resulted in decreased ride and performance. On the Commander, where the strut is just a shock and NOT a structural piece of the suspension, perhaps the impact is NOT that great, regardless, I replaced them with the shock/strut.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Oh, I went back and looked at the photos of the Commanders strut mount, the rubber isolator is just for the shock, the spring mounts on metal portion of the strut mount. The rubber spring isolators only effect ride height. which I replaced, perhaps its just the bilstein shock body itself that gave me the 1/2" or more that it appears my front has climbed up.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
No the bushing is NOT sold separately, and although it doesn't look like its in there that hard of a press fit, the bolt compresses them.
We must be talking about different things.

Upper spring isolator, definitely sold seperately
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1831826&cc=1434535&jnid=418&jpid=2

strut mount & isolator:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1129641&cc=1434535&jnid=416&jpid=2

Are you thinking of the strut bushings or something? These come with the strut.

The bolt on top of the strut goes through the hole in the metal strut mount and tightening down the nut compresses the upper strut bushings.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
We must be talking about different things.
I'm re-using terms and it is getting confusing. I am talking about the strut mount, it is in the photo you posted.

There is a rubber bushing within that strutmount, you can see the rubber cylinder sticking up through the center of it, it has a hole in the center of it, for the strut rod to go through and be bolted down over it.

These should be replaced with the Strut/Shock because the big rubber bushing in the center of the strut mount can and does wear out. Even if it looks fine, if you compared it with a new one, you would see it isn't.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm re-using terms and it is getting confusing. I am talking about the strut mount, it is in the photo you posted.

There is a rubber bushing within that strutmount, you can see the rubber cylinder sticking up through the center of it, it has a hole in the center of it, for the strut rod to go through and be bolted down over it.

These should be replaced with the Strut/Shock because the big rubber bushing in the center of the strut mount can and does wear out. Even if it looks fine, if you compared it with a new one, you would see it isn't.
What your thinking of is the strut bushing. Comes with the strut. I replaced that. It is a 2 piece bushing with a metal sleeve. It is in the picture with the bilstein strut/shock above.

This is the only rubber component that comes with the strut mount. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1831826&cc=1434535&jnid=418&jpid=2

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What your thinking of is the strut bushing. Comes with the strut. I replaced that. It is a 2 piece bushing with a metal sleeve. It is in the picture with the bilstein strut/shock above.

This is the only rubber component that comes with the strut mount. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1831826&cc=1434535&jnid=418&jpid=2
Wait, I think I know what the disconnect might be. I have a 2010, what year is your Commander?

I think they did change the strut mount to something similar but different in the later years, I might be wrong.

The spring will have rubber Isolators, both on the top and bottom of it, that go between the spring and the strut perch on the bottom and spring and the metal part of the strut mount on the top. I am NOT talking about those rubber spring isolators. And yes, a new strut mount does come with a new rubber spring isolator that goes between it and the spring.

Yes, most shocks, that are like traditional shocks, one of the types of bushing mounts is what you have in the picture in your post. A rubber bushing that fits over the shock rod on either side of the body hole that it mounts into. Yes, the Commanders Strut/Shock for the front is similar to that, except it is in the strut mount that the rod is going through and it contains the spring and bolts to the body, instead of bolting the shock directly to the body.

So, for my 2010, the strut mount does have a rubber bushing already mounted inside of the metal strut mount. It was pressed into it at the factory. And the OEM strut mount I took out of my 2010 Commander had the same thing, the rubber bushing was one piece pressed into the metal part of the strut mount.

I "think" earlier Commanders and Grand Cherokees, had a strut mount that just had an opening and it had removable rubber bushings, you installed the rubber bushings on either side of the opening with the shock rod going through them and then you bolted it down compressing the bushing.

My Bilstein front struts did NOT come with any bushings for the strut rod. And likely that is because the later commanders had the bushing pre-installed in the strut mount. If you had an earlier Commander and wanted new bushings, you would have to order a whole new strut mount and just adapt the later design or go to the dealer and order the individual bushings for that model year?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Wait, I think I know what the disconnect might be. I have a 2010, what year is your Commander?

I think they did change the strut mount to something similar but different in the later years, I might be wrong.

The spring will have rubber Isolators, both on the top and bottom of it, that go between the spring and the strut perch on the bottom and spring and the metal part of the strut mount on the top. I am NOT talking about those rubber spring isolators. And yes, a new strut mount does come with a new rubber spring isolator that goes between it and the spring.

Yes, most shocks, that are like traditional shocks, one of the types of bushing mounts is what you have in the picture in your post. A rubber bushing that fits over the shock rod on either side of the body hole that it mounts into. Yes, the Commanders Strut/Shock for the front is similar to that, except it is in the strut mount that the rod is going through and it contains the spring and bolts to the body, instead of bolting the shock directly to the body.

So, for my 2010, the strut mount does have a rubber bushing already mounted inside of the metal strut mount. It was pressed into it at the factory. And the OEM strut mount I took out of my 2010 Commander had the same thing, the rubber bushing was one piece pressed into the metal part of the strut mount.

I "think" earlier Commanders and Grand Cherokees, had a strut mount that just had an opening and it had removable rubber bushings, you installed the rubber bushings on either side of the opening with the shock rod going through them and then you bolted it down compressing the bushing.

My Bilstein front struts did NOT come with any bushings for the strut rod. And likely that is because the later commanders had the bushing pre-installed in the strut mount. If you had an earlier Commander and wanted new bushings, you would have to order a whole new strut mount and just adapt the later design or go to the dealer and order the individual bushings for that model year?
I have a 2010 XK as well, I could swear that the bushing came with the shock.

:SM127:

Maybe I am confusing the mount with one of my other vehicles that I replaced shocks on recently. (I have installed 3 sets of shocks this year)

Now I am going to have to take a look @ it tonight.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I just did my strut/shocks a couple of weeks ago. For my 2010, the Bilstein's at least, did NOT come with any bushings for the strut rod. I purchased new Moog Strut Mounts, and the new rubber bushing was pressed into the metal body of the strut mount.

In reading up on the job, I thought I did see some pictures and procedures for earlier XK/WK's that showed a metal strut mount with two piece bushings, one on either side of the strut mount, so at one time it might have been like you're thinking. Really if you look close at the parts, its NOT that different. Instead of fitting two rubber bushings on either side of the strut mount and bolting them together with the nut over the end of the strut rod, they instead pressed into the mount one bushing shaped like the two bushings bolted together.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have an 06 commander stock. ill order everything from rock auto
You'll also need the Strut Mount. MOOG Part # K160050, the part will come with the upper spring isolator, so you won't need to order that separately, just the lower spring isolator.

That was the whole conversation Luck7 and I had, he confused it and didn't realize the upper bushing for the shock is in the strut mount. Some will argue that you can just re-use the old strut mount, as long as the bushing is NOT damaged or torn all up, but even if they look fine, they can be degraded and NOT perform as well. If you're going to spend all that time to replace the strut/shock, spend a few bucks more to make sure the parts that can wear/degrade are all fresh, so you get the performance you're expecting.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You'll also need the Strut Mount. MOOG Part # K160050, the part will come with the upper spring isolator, so you won't need to order that separately, just the lower spring isolator.

That was the whole conversation Luck7 and I had, he confused it and didn't realize the upper bushing for the shock is in the strut mount. Some will argue that you can just re-use the old strut mount, as long as the bushing is NOT damaged or torn all up, but even if they look fine, they can be degraded and NOT perform as well. If you're going to spend all that time to replace the strut/shock, spend a few bucks more to make sure the parts that can wear/degrade are all fresh, so you get the performance you're expecting.
I didn't get a chance to really look. I'm assuming if you did the job recently that you are 100% correct.

I re used the old strut mount personally. But Mongo's advice is sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts