Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a sub/amp install on my friends 06' Commander. Here are the issues I'm having. I can't find a good ground spot for the Amplifier. Keep in mind I'm doing this install out of my garage and I don't have a voltometer or anything to measure the volts or how well the ground is.

Anyways, if you remove the panel carrying the jack and bolts, there is a spot where the seat is bolted to the chassis of the car and I screwed the ground in right next to that. But I don't feel as though this is a sufficent enough ground, even after scraping away some of the surface. So the first problem I need help with is finding a good groun.

The second issue I'm having is with the stock HU and the wiring. I need to know what wires connect to the rears and which one is the remote wire. Any assistance would be great.

A minor problem I'm having is getting the wires to the back of the car and keeping them hidden. Let me mention that I took the power wire threw the passenger side of the firewall threw a small gromet. I then fed the power, remote and RCA cables to underneath the kick panel on both the front and back passenger sides. But when in hte back seat I couldn't find a good way to get the wires to the back without them showing. Do I need to remove the huge rear panel that holds the rear vent controls? If so, how?

I know this is kinda long but any help here would be great. We're done for the night and will be continuing tommorow. If any of this didn't make sense I apologize it's been a long day. TIA!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone atleast tell me where they planted their ground wire? And how to get to that spot?

Also, the wiring config. for the factory wiring harness.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A lot of people are vacation right now. You might have to wait for an answer on that. I know there are a few here that have done work like that but, patients my friend:eek: And welcome to the forum. Oh, and while you're waiting for an answer, why don't you go out and pick up a Commander for yourself. That got some good deals:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't afford one myself. I'm 20 and playing basketball and going to school fulltime.

And I'm just going to try and finish today that's why I needed the answers. I can't believe everyone on this forum that has installed a system is on vaca.

·
Registered
366 Posts
xtreex-first off relax, you gotta realize that this is a holiday weekend, secondly Bravo said it the best, patience my young wipp'r snap'r, and lastly, if you really wanted a Jeep Commander then you can certainly afford one at 20, I'm 19 and am the proud owner of a 06 Limited HEMI, and i 2 am a full time student, also playing hoops in college. So, i guess to each his own

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anywhere you see metal like the body of the car under the carpet, or the bolt that holds the seat down you mentioned earlier is fine. just scrape all the paint away. every install i have seen has had the cables run under the carpet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright i went out and finally bought a ohm meter. Turns out the fuse was blown near the battery right out of the package... didn't even think of looking for that. But now I know I have a good ground and a good 12v power supply... but anyone know the color of the damn remote wire on the wiring harness for the stock HU? TIA

·
Registered
240 Posts
OK, I did some research and here is what I found out. The switched wire should be yellow with pink polka dots, have a brown fuzzy coating, and should feel cold when you touch it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was just kidding.....my computer crashed while I was uploading the pic. Here is a wiring diagram. Looks like the can b bus provides the power switching. I dont know what voltage that is so I dont know if it will work as a remote switch. Better ask someone who knows.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
so what that says is that pin 5 on the dark grey harness is white with and orange stripe. This is the positive feed from the bus. The power from the battery is in pins 1 and 12 and are red with and orange stripe. Use your new volt meter to check both of these feeds to see if they are hot all of the time or are switched with the ignition. If one of them is switched then there you go. Good Luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
DO WIRE ANYTHING TO THE CAN BUS! It will crash it and your Commander will not start and have to go back to the dealer to get it re-started. Wire the amp to the accessory outlet on the left side, just like you would for an after market deck, it's a switched lead. Running the ground off the frame for the third row seat is fine and there's really no good way to run the wires up past the 2nd row latch. What I did is right at the point where you can remove the trim at the back door,(it just pop's off) I ran the wires under the carpet up the side, until I came out under the 3rd seat, so everything is hidden. It's a real bitch to do, but it can be done.

What kind of sub setup are you installing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts