Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced a sudden drop in their readings for AVG MPG? That happened to me the other day, as soon as I turned on my Commander the reading dropped really quick, I was at an AVG 17.0 MPG and it went down to about 12 MPG, it was odd. It kept dropping as I was driving. It has now come back up to 17.2 but it took about a week to return to where it was. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I'm thinking maybe a faulty sensor? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
It is real time sensing, you most likely were getting worse gas mileage at the time for some reason.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mine dropped down to 13 and has stayed there since the lift and tires - it only goes up that high when I'm driving on the highway!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had vehicles before with a real time AVG MPG indicator and I have never seen the reading drop that fast, it went from 17 MPG down to almost 12 in a matter of like 15 minutes and my driving habits didn't change. I commute about 90 miles a day to and from work on the highway so my average MPG were still slowly going up. It was very strange and concerned me that something was starting to malfunction. It hasn't happened since but I did notice that now the reading fluctuates a little more, usualy between 17.4 and 16.5. I'll keep my eye on it and hopefully it's normal and not a sign of something starting to go awry.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Maybe you bumped the reset button.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, didn't know you can reset the reading, that could be it since I jumped in when my Commander was on.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I discovered this morning you can reset the average MPG reading so apparently I did reset it accidently as I climbed in and since it was idling the reading suddenly dropped since technically I wasn't moving and I was burning gas. Problem solved!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Another solution made possible by group contributions, cool!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If you hit reset it will go to zero and start recalculating, usually very high.

I suspect that you were getting 17mpg but sitting there idle the computer measured fuel consumption but no miles. Therefor it would think, eventually, zero miles per gallon.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that's what I think Fohn Jargo, it was just a scary thing to see, I thought I was already starting to experience an issue with my new Commander.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts