Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a few pics, I'll post more soon.:eek:rangehat:

Small mishap though, we ran over a pretty large peice of driftwood at 45 mph trying to beat the incoming tide, went airborne for half a sec, but all was well, really had a great time and really impressed with my XK through the sand drifts!!!!! :headbang2:

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Awesome fun isn't it!

I did that about 3 years ago in our BMW Z3 we had at the time. Never ever thought I would get the chance to do donuts on a beach!

Haven't been back there now that I have my XK!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this time of the year, it's not crowded so you can go all the way up to the East Cut without all the drama. If you ever get to come back down, let me know so we can run a KX group team or something!!!! Sounds like fun!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
If you ever get up by Corpus Christi drop me a line.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I drove along the beach at the National Seashore just south of Port Aransas. Got well beyond the "4x4 Only" signs. Had a lot of fun.

Only time I was "offroad" on the beach in your area near Port Isabel was in the late 80's and that was on horseback. Took my horse with me on a vacation to Port Isabel to get her accustomed to working in sand prior to heading to Yuma, Arizona to be an extra in Rambo III.

John

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took my horse with me on a vacation to Port Isabel to get her accustomed to working in sand prior to heading to Yuma, Arizona to be an extra in Rambo III. John
I liked III the best, did you appear in the final cut? Which scene?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just wanted to share a few pics, I'll post more soon.:eek:rangehat:

Small mishap though, we ran over a pretty large peice of driftwood at 45 mph trying to beat the incoming tide, went airborne for half a sec, but all was well, really had a great time and really impressed with my XK through the sand drifts!!!!! :headbang2:
great pics !!!
do you have spacers for the MTZ's?
If not do you get any rubbing?
those are stock wheels right?:headbang2:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great pics !!!
do you have spacers for the MTZ's?
If not do you get any rubbing?
those are stock wheels right?:headbang2:
I'm not running spacers at the moment but I think I'm gonna install some just to get that wider stance. The tire lugs on the front passenger side do get caught up on the unibody at full lock turning to the right, making the turning radius a little wider. And yes they are the stock wheels.:headbang2:

·
Registered
232 Posts
powerslave1966,

I was in a part near the end of the movie portraying Afgan horse cavalry. At one point we had about 500 horse cavalry (300 cavalry re-enactors and about 200 local guys). They got rid of the local guys after a couple days because their horses weren't trained as horse cavarly and they were causing too many horse wreaks. I don't show up anywhere (that I know of), but my other horse that I loaned to a friend made the cover of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. Only copy I ever had a reason to buy. I was having major horse problems the entire week we were there. Found out after we returned home (from the movie) that an injury my horse had sustained in pasture 2 months (before the movie) was a .22 caliber bullet in her right shoulder. A kid had shot her in pasture, unfortunately I never caught the kid. I did however get buzzed by the Hind helicopter (wasn't a real Hind, made to look like one by the movie people), missed my head by three feet. When it went overhead I could have reached up and hit it with my rifle. I got buzzed because I was out in the sand by myself, I was in the sand by myself because I was having major horse problems, the helicopter didn't help. If you watch the movie, notice the tank barrels, they bounce because they are really PVC pipe. The armor on the armored cars was plywood. Ah movie magic. We had fun and got paid too.

John

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
powerslave1966,

I was in a part near the end of the movie portraying Afgan horse cavalry. At one point we had about 500 horse cavalry (300 cavalry re-enactors and about 200 local guys). They got rid of the local guys after a couple days because their horses weren't trained as horse cavarly and they were causing too many horse wreaks. I don't show up anywhere (that I know of), but my other horse that I loaned to a friend made the cover of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. Only copy I ever had a reason to buy. I was having major horse problems the entire week we were there. Found out after we returned home (from the movie) that an injury my horse had sustained in pasture 2 months (before the movie) was a .22 caliber bullet in her right shoulder. A kid had shot her in pasture, unfortunately I never caught the kid. I did however get buzzed by the Hind helicopter (wasn't a real Hind, made to look like one by the movie people), missed my head by three feet. When it went overhead I could have reached up and hit it with my rifle. I got buzzed because I was out in the sand by myself, I was in the sand by myself because I was having major horse problems, the helicopter didn't help. If you watch the movie, notice the tank barrels, they bounce because they are really PVC pipe. The armor on the armored cars was plywood. Ah movie magic. We had fun and got paid too.

John
Great story, thanks for sharing. I'll be watching out for those plastic tank barrels when they show that movie again!!!LOL:):killtard:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I don't know my rig as well as I thought! We were at the Island today and we got into some really deep soft sand, as I was trying to accelerate, it bogged down bad, the engine wouldn't respond to my pedal work and it felt like it put the brakes on on it's own. This was when I had ESP full on. We got out of it though, I hit the switch to full off ESP and no more bogging down!! Anyone have a little advice on what mode to use in sand, mud, etc.?? I still haven't got my tow hooks so I take some gear with me and say a prayer!:eek:rangehat:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts