Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the highway yesterday and I started to hear wind noise.I thought it was my passenger review mirror.Then alot of wind noise.I pulled back the inside of my roof to see if glass was open.instantly the inside blew up..I pulled over.The inside sliding door was bent up but no glass attached.From what I can tell it seems the glue came undone..Now you can see I have been here since 2017 when I got her(2008 sport sport front and rear glass,premium sound,F/B ac)I never had any leaking from the sunroof.I clipped my drains long ago.And I am pretty informed when it comes to my jeep.I wash her (vacuum,clean,armoral,ect)2 times a week.(I know I'm obsessed)I keep her clean even detail the engine bay once a month.I contacted Mopar com last night on live chat.She said this is normal wear and tear and not covered by any warranty.Now I know it's not new and I'm aware it has 165,000 ish but in my 43 years on this planet I have never heard from friends or news about any car's sunroof flying off.Not saying it can't or has not happened.I feel this is a safty issue.Cheap products?
Quality of glue? So I then talked to the MFG a few minutes ago.They said nothing is covered after 4 years.I said I wanted to bring this to your attention and give you the opportunity to make this right and TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR PRODUCTS!! I said from the conversation we just had it sounds like yall don't care..She said we do.Then what are yall going to do about this..She said nothing your problem.I said I understand.I do not feel safe nor will I put my kids in the jeep.They claim it's normal wear and tear.Ok I get that but all the wear and tear items are listed in the Manuel when to change them.Where does it say change the glue on your windows or they will fly off?That just sounds stupid.Everyone I know knows I drive a jeep.I love it...Now from a company stand point how is it going to look when everyone ask me what happend?Word of mouth is a mother.You think they will want to buy a jeep knowing the glass Flys off and after 4years jeep won't care?I had an issue once with a 20 year old BMW and they fixed my issue with in a day no cost on my end.All I can do now
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille
is file an insurance claim.
Repair it and then sad to say sell her and get out the jeep game..Love the jeep.Just will not support a company that will not take pride in there work and knowingly allow unsafe products on the road.If I'm wrong or just up set please feel free to comment.I value yalls feed back.Thanks all,stay safe.

·
Registered
Silver 2006 Commander V8 2.5" Lift , Wheel Spacers, BF Goodrich AT K01 245/70/17
48 Posts
wow didnt now they were only held on with glue like that. mine is leaking like crazy

·
Administrator
16,129 Posts
@atxo4 You have to remember that the Commanders are aging vehicles and things are going to deteriorate. I have things on mine (2006) that despite only having 40,000 miles on it are deteriorating. And this is normal -- man made things don't last forever.

Reactions: kylekruchok

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totally understand but 13yrs old and the glass Flys off?OK may 23yrs...It's not a mechanical issuse that broke it's the glue holding the glass.So after 13yrs all the glue holding the sunroofs on all the cars on the road will fail?Just jeeps?Am I supposed to take a chance that the 2nd row seating roof glass will not come off with my kids in the jeep?If this is a know problem or "normal wear and tear" why has jeep not state this in their user manual? I feel unsafe.I feel cheated.This is the problem we have had for a long time.Nobody takes pride in there products ! I am going to have it repaired and then sell it.....No more jeeps for me thank you.

·
Administrator
16,129 Posts
@atxo4 I have never seen anyone post here or any other Commander group about this issue. It could be that a previous owner had the glass replaced and that the glue used was not up to standards. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possible.But all my glass had or has the Mopar eching and numbers in the corners.Nothing on car facts.Not saying past owners did not replace.I just really doubt it.But I have been wrong before.And yes there is a post on here with another member having the same issue.Will screen shot and post.

·
Administrator
16,129 Posts
@atxo4 OK, you got me. LOL

·
Registered
Jeep Commander 2007 QD2 5.7 Hemi Limited Premium
3 Posts
On my brother-in-law’s jeep liberty from 2010, same thing happen the sunroof just completely flew off while on the highway. This happened two years ago. He feels your pain but he loves his liberty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Commander's original sun roof went flying off the vehicle the first good 60mph it hit after having a remanned engine installed. After investigating the cause, I saw no glue anywhere, no, the frame, along with the bolts that fasten it to the car, had badly rusted and corroded. My Commander had sat idle in a driveway for about 8 months before this happened, and we had a hurricane buzz through that year as well, so much water that I was not at all surprised. The new glass I bought came with a new frame and it was just like new, but this was the beginning of my determined efforts to rid my Jeep of all leaks, something that took almost another three years to accomplish completely.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This happened on mine before I bought it (from a friend). Going down the interstate in the middle of the the night and whomp! it's gone, shattered in the road. A friend of his cut a piece of waferboard to fit and glued it in as a temporary fix. Held up for a couple years.

·
Administrator
16,129 Posts
This happened on mine before I bought it (from a friend). Going down the interstate in the middle of the the night and whomp! it's gone, shattered in the road. A friend of his cut a piece of waferboard to fit and glued it in as a temporary fix. Held up for a couple years.
So all these stories about sunroofs flying off Commanders are coming out now. This is news to me. And up above 07COMMINMEX said one came off a Jeep Liberty. I wonder if it happens with other makes of cars?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd bet the glue failure is worse in sunny areas (heat/sunlight). Mine was originally purchased in Key West and has spent it's entire life in the Florida Keys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in New Braunfels Texas.All we have is sun and heat.Millions of dollars went into the design of the Commander but they did not test the glue for tempature fatigue?I think these are rare events and jeep should step up and at least inspect what happened on there dime.Not mine!How much will it cost if lord forbid someone gets hurt?

·
Registered
2007, 4.7L Flex, 5 speed auto, RWD, Nav.
2 Posts
I'm thinking this problem is not so unique. The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I was driving down the interstate about 65mph, and heard a bang, and noticed louder than usual wind noise. My sunroof glass had blown off. On examination, it looked like the original glue was not applied uniformly, and rust formed in the gaps, loosening it over time. When I took it to my regular mechanic, thinking it would be the first time he saw this problem, he told me he'd repaired about a dozen Commanders. I had my glass replaced and will continue to drive my Jeep. I'm told the repair is much stronger than the original install and this problem shouldn't repeat. Fingers crossed!

·
Administrator
7,059 Posts
I'm thinking this problem is not so unique. The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I was driving down the interstate about 65mph, and heard a bang, and noticed louder than usual wind noise. My sunroof glass had blown off. On examination, it looked like the original glue was not applied uniformly, and rust formed in the gaps, loosening it over time. When I took it to my regular mechanic, thinking it would be the first time he saw this problem, he told me he'd repaired about a dozen Commanders. I had my glass replaced and will continue to drive my Jeep. I'm told the repair is much stronger than the original install and this problem shouldn't repeat. Fingers crossed!
This is a prime example of why I am so glad I don't have a sunroof;

They are more trouble then they're worth IMHO.

Back to you @atxo4

There is some truth to what @jeep5253 said;

Not only are XK's aging vehicles, they were also produced for a very short period of time - only 5 years from 2006 - 2010.

Finding parts for these XK's is getting harder & harder because we are beyond the 10 year mark of the last year they were produced, which means FCA/Jeep is not obligated to support them anymore.

I hear what you said about BMW but FCA/Jeep is simply not BMW - Sad as that is to say.

I'm lucky that mine has been garaged for most of the 7 years that I've owned it. Being able to keep it out of the weather makes an incredible difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I ordered the new oem(Mopar direct)glass with frame and a new gasket for $501 shipped.Dealer wanted $800(parts).$1200 (6hrs labor)to install...I will do it in 1 hour.Looks like 4 bolts and a little love.So Im hoping I will not have to worry about it for another 10yrs.So I would suggest replacing your sunroof every 10yrs or you take the chance.Jeep or full coverage insurance(Checking around for new insurance)will not cover.What will your insurance tell the person who gets hit with the flying glass?Sorry NORMAL wear and tear your problem.Meanwhile the driver/owner I'm sure will be sued.. Love my Commander.Very unhappy with JEEP.Let yall know how the install goes next week.Be safe out there!

·
Administrator
16,129 Posts
I ordered the new oem(Mopar direct)glass with frame and a new gasket for $501 shipped.Dealer wanted $800(parts).$1200 (6hrs labor)to install...I will do it in 1 hour.Looks like 4 bolts and a little love.So Im hoping I will not have to worry about it for another 10yrs.So I would suggest replacing your sunroof every 10yrs or you take the chance.Jeep or full coverage insurance(Checking around for new insurance)will not cover.What will your insurance tell the person who get hits with the flying glass?Sorry NORMAL wear and tear your problem.Meanwhile the driver/owner I'm sure will be sued.. Love my Commander.Very unhappy with JEEP.Let yall know how the install goes next week.Be safe out there!
@atxo4 Please document the install as it is sure to help another member at some point. You got the sunroof from Mopar Direct? Can you post a link for us? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,186 Posts
Another idea, since the sunroof can have several problems, like drains and blowing off. How about removing it and have some kind of sheet metal roof piece attached over it? Or a non opening window?
I know the last time I opened mine was a couple weeks ago to fix the drain tubes and before that it has been 5 to 10 years, just don't use it - never have - would not be missed.
Anyone done this?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts