Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
I ordered the new oem(Mopar direct)glass with frame and a new gasket for $501 shipped.Dealer wanted $800(parts).$1200 (6hrs labor)to install...I will do it in 1 hour.Looks like 4 bolts and a little love.So Im hoping I will not have to worry about it for another 10yrs.So I would suggest replacing your sunroof every 10yrs or you take the chance.Jeep or full coverage insurance(Checking around for new insurance)will not cover.What will your insurance tell the person who gets hit with the flying glass?Sorry NORMAL wear and tear your problem.Meanwhile the driver/owner I'm sure will be sued.. Love my Commander.Very unhappy with JEEP.Let yall know how the install goes next week.Be safe out there!
@atxo4 ;

Looking forward to your update;

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another idea, since the sunroof can have several problems, like drains and blowing off. How about removing it and have some kind of sheet metal roof piece attached over it? Or a non opening window?
I know the last time I opened mine was a couple weeks ago to fix the drain tubes and before that it has been 5 to 10 years, just don't use it - never have - would not be missed.
Anyone done this?
It's not uncommon for old cars with sunroofs to have the thing sealed up. Just a rubber sealant to go between the rubber gasket around the window, and the body of the car. This is just something to do if you don't give a crap and don't want to be bothered with the leak anymore. It's a good idea to sever the electric line to the motor somehow (fuse) if you do this though, you won't want to seal it up only to undo your work accidentally.

For anybody out there thinking that just not having a sunroof solves it, there's PLENTY more ways water can get into a Commander. Pinch welds above the door wear away over time. Windshield sealant wears out, along the top, and along both sides. The door seals in both front doors. Bolts on the roof rails can wear away with rust.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,198 Posts
Ok Then how about making it a convertable? Or do they have even more problems? I have had 15 cars but no convertable.

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
It's not uncommon for old cars with sunroofs to have the thing sealed up. Just a rubber sealant to go between the rubber gasket around the window, and the body of the car. This is just something to do if you don't give a crap and don't want to be bothered with the leak anymore. It's a good idea to sever the electric line to the motor somehow (fuse) if you do this though, you won't want to seal it up only to undo your work accidentally.

For anybody out there thinking that just not having a sunroof solves it, there's PLENTY more ways water can get into a Commander. Pinch welds above the door wear away over time. Windshield sealant wears out, along the top, and along both sides. The door seals in both front doors. Bolts on the roof rails can wear away with rust.
Absolutely correct @HyperionAlpha ;

The only water issue I've ever had, was the result of screws used to mount my 50" curved LED light bar going through the roof-rail end caps and puncturing the roof;

I didn't do the initial installation of the 50 in curved LED lightbar, so, I was unaware of how long the screws that were used to mount it to the roof-rail endcaps, actually were.

Fortunately, I caught the issue very quickly, cut those screws down by about an inch and sealed the holes & I was lucky that it was fixed fast enough, that I didn't have any water damage at all.

Problem solved and I've never had another single water-leak issue since.

That being said, not having a sunroof definitely cuts down on the chances of having any water leaks - no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Rusting roof rail bolts are another big one as well as worn door seals - or doors being out of alignment.

This is where taking care of your Commander (cleaning it with some regularity) and garaging it if you can, helps out tremendously.

The more you can cut down on UV exposure & prolonged exposure the the elements/weather, the better your XK will stand up to the test of time.

It's probably a good idea to replace the door-seals after 10 years anyway, those rubber seals will only last so long, even under the best of conditions.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander Sport 3.7L V6
11 Posts
My sunroof flew off on I-5 too. I had to seal it with sealant for now. This happend in april 2020.

I don’t know how these things fly off.. I have had leaks before so maybe thats the cause.

• Wow
Reactions: jeep5253

·
Administrator
16,134 Posts
My sunroof flew off on I-5 too. I had to seal it with sealant for now. This happend in april 2020.

I don’t know how these things fly off.. I have had leaks before so maybe thats the cause.
I don't think the leaks caused it. I think it is because of age and deterioration of the adhesive. In addition to the age, an inferior adhesive might have been used which is causing it to deteriorate sooner than it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was driving down the highway yesterday and I started to hear wind noise.I thought it was my passenger review mirror.Then alot of wind noise.I pulled back the inside of my roof to see if glass was open.instantly the inside blew up..I pulled over.The inside sliding door was bent up but no glass attached.From what I can tell it seems the glue came undone..Now you can see I have been here since 2017 when I got her(2008 sport sport front and rear glass,premium sound,F/B ac)I never had any leaking from the sunroof.I clipped my drains long ago.And I am pretty informed when it comes to my jeep.I wash her (vacuum,clean,armoral,ect)2 times a week.(I know I'm obsessed)I keep her clean even detail the engine bay once a month.I contacted Mopar com last night on live chat.She said this is normal wear and tear and not covered by any warranty.Now I know it's not new and I'm aware it has 165,000 ish but in my 43 years on this planet I have never heard from friends or news about any car's sunroof flying off.Not saying it can't or has not happened.I feel this is a safty issue.Cheap products?
Quality of glue? So I then talked to the MFG a few minutes ago.They said nothing is covered after 4 years.I said I wanted to bring this to your attention and give you the opportunity to make this right and TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR PRODUCTS!! I said from the conversation we just had it sounds like yall don't care..She said we do.Then what are yall going to do about this..She said nothing your problem.I said I understand.I do not feel safe nor will I put my kids in the jeep.They claim it's normal wear and tear.Ok I get that but all the wear and tear items are listed in the Manuel when to change them.Where does it say change the glue on your windows or they will fly off?That just sounds stupid.Everyone I know knows I drive a jeep.I love it...Now from a company stand point how is it going to look when everyone ask me what happend?Word of mouth is a mother.You think they will want to buy a jeep knowing the glass Flys off and after 4years jeep won't care?I had an issue once with a 20 year old BMW and they fixed my issue with in a day no cost on my end.All I can do now View attachment 43018 .
is file an insurance claim.
Repair it and then sad to say sell her and get out the jeep game..Love the jeep.Just will not support a company that will not take pride in there work and knowingly allow unsafe products on the road.If I'm wrong or just up set please feel free to comment.I value yalls feed back.Thanks all,stay safe.
I think that you are being a little overly emotional over this issue. I tend to think that the various past owners of your vehicle abused it in some way. I have zero issues with my commander … it is a 2010 … 38,000 miles … hemi … if you have loved it as you state, bite the bullet and pay for the repair … that’s what l would do … l’m surprised that you insurance wouldn’t pay for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think that you are being a little overly emotional over this issue. I tend to think that the various past owners of your vehicle abused it in some way. I have zero issues with my commander … it is a 2010 … 38,000 miles … hemi … if you have loved it as you state, bite the bullet and pay for the repair … that’s what l would do … l’m surprised that you insurance wouldn’t pay for it. Good luck.
1st off I appreciate and value your input.2nd 30,000 miles on a 11yr old vehicle.Sounds like you can afford to have your jeep sit.I can not I use my jeep daily to feed my kids and pay my rent. Overly emotional..? Maybe very passionate.So if someone gets hurt or dies from glass flying off then am I allowed to be overly emotional....? YES.. I'm in the process of repair.I have no choice.Why would the company not (Proactively)state this for its customers?For the public?In the owners Manuel?Email?Web site?Anything?Shoot a flare up?Something..They put warnings on coffee for crying out loud.It is not a mechanical issuse where I wore out the part.Its a adhesive fatigue issuse.Safty issue for the public.I am done on this subject.My best advice is to change your sunroof glue every 10yrs and don't drive behind a commander one the highway.Stay safe out there...Regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been chasing a water leak / cleaning the drains on my 06 Commander. I finally broke down and put in a new seal. The glass on the front had separated and it seemed water had been coming in for a long time. I filled it up with GE Silicone and the new seal. It works nice now but i may have avoided a similar flying glass problem.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts