Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Commander for a few years now. I've battled with the Leaky sunroof, fixed the drain tubes which helped my floors dry out. However, we had a big rain on weekend and the jeep was parked facing uphill (probably 25 degree slope or so). When I went to put my son in his booster seat I noticed the back seats were soaked. It looked like it had leaked out around the rear seat light area. A few days later we realized that our BA amp in the rear was no longer working. The best I can figure is the water was draining back through the headliner and dripping behind the panel on to the amp.

I pulled the amp out after driving it for a while and took it apart. It didn't look awful, the connectors weren't corroded, but I could see a little corrosion on the amp circuit board. I have a new amp and will be installing it this weekend. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? I've read reports of amps going bad, has anyone that has an amp fail parked with the back lower than the front? Needless to say we've started backing into the parking spot so the water is running towards the front where the drain holes are. I can't believe how bad this design is.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. The sunroof leak got to my amp. And I have seen where it happened to at least one other person.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. The sunroof leak got to my amp. And I have seen where it happened to at least one other person.
I think my amp has recently failed completely.. although I don't remember finding any evidence of water inside the cabin...

I suspect it is the amp because some speakers work and others don't.. I confirmed this by using the fade button..

was the symptoms of your failed amp? did you lose all sound or just some speakers?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I think my amp has recently failed completely.. although I don't remember finding any evidence of water inside the cabin...

I suspect it is the amp because some speakers work and others don't.. I confirmed this by using the fade button..

was the symptoms of your failed amp? did you lose all sound or just some speakers?
Lost all sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My door and rear speakers stopped working. We only had dash speakers which run off the head unit power. I bought a replacement OEM amp which was $155 shipped. Took a few hours to install and everything sounds good again. I know stuff goes bad, but interior items shouldn't be getting wet like that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lost all sound.
hmmmm.. that suxk man.. sorry

My door and rear speakers stopped working. We only had dash speakers which run off the head unit power. I bought a replacement OEM amp which was $155 shipped. Took a few hours to install and everything sounds good again. I know stuff goes bad, but interior items shouldn't be getting wet like that.
same exact speaker loss here... was it a huge pain to take out the trim .. I was looking at it the other day it looked like not fun.. looks like you have to take it out all the way up to the lining because the amp is pretty high up..

can you advice?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ill bet the rear drain tubes are plugged.
They drain slightly uphill before they drop down the drop down i think in the pillar between front and rear door and terminate somewhere in the unibody frame... They are not visible underneath...
If you pull the sunroof trim off (open sunroof to see how the clips are attached) and pry down the roof liner you'll see the blue corrugated tube. I was able to use a piece of 3/8" copper tube to insert down the aluminum gutter of the sunroof and fit it into the drain. Used a pump sprayer with warm water to flush the drain til water ran on the ground, then once it was open flushed it with bleachy water to clean. Its definately a lousy install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm.. that suxk man.. sorry

same exact speaker loss here... was it a huge pain to take out the trim .. I was looking at it the other day it looked like not fun.. looks like you have to take it out all the way up to the lining because the amp is pretty high up..

can you advice?
I used this video to do mine.

And got the amplifier with part number #05064118AL, if you search for that part number you should get several hits. It's a Mopar OEM part, mine was about $155 shipped.

Ill bet the rear drain tubes are plugged.
They drain slightly uphill before they drop down the drop down i think in the pillar between front and rear door and terminate somewhere in the unibody frame... They are not visible underneath...
Thanks, I didn't realize there were rear drain plugs too! That makes sense. My fronts were clogged with all kinds of nasty junk at the bottom of the drain hose.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used this video to do mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lug7H0WcWWM

And got the amplifier with part number #05064118AL, if you search for that part number you should get several hits. It's a Mopar OEM part, mine was about $155 shipped.

Thanks, I didn't realize there were rear drain plugs too! That makes sense. My fronts were clogged with all kinds of nasty junk at the bottom of the drain hose.
thanks for that video... i thought i searched thoroughly.. but didnt find anything..

also did you clean out your sunroof drain plugs?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yep...mine clog so I have to clean them every year by flushing hot bleachy water through, then rinsing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts