Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find where this water is coming in. After a good rain, it starts pouring out of the front handle restraint. I can't see anything on the sunroof.

Leak from grip.jpg

Just curious if anyone else has seen this before.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the sunroof fix earlier because of wet carpet. This one only leaks into the shown handle, not via the grommet on the floor. I can't figure out where it is coming from.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The drain tube runs down that pillar. Maybe it lost connection at the top to the sunroof or has developed a hole. Just guessing here. You can pop off that part of the pillar easy enough to take a peek. Just pop out those tabs and I think it was a 10mm to get the bolt out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The typical symptom of a clogged drain is leaking from that spot. The water backs up the length of the the tube, and then finds alternate paths when it's backed up, often leaking from the aforementioned screw caps.

Did you try blowing compressed air into the drain hole at the sunroof?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am on it!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If compressed air does not fix it, try pushing a flexible wire down the drain tube. I use a long thin nylon tube that I taped a tube from a compressed air can to in get lower into the drain tube. Once you clean it out, you should be able to pour a cup of water in the drain area and watch it drain out underneath your vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my truck back from the dealer to repair this exact leak on the passenger side. $570.00 later no more leak. They had to partially remove the head liner and reseal around the roof rack. I will be doing the other side myself. Good luck. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey IndyMTB. Did you ever find the problem that was causing your leak? I just uncovered a leak in my Commander not long ago, cleared out the drain tubes and it still leaked after today's heavy rain. I fear that it might be the seal around the sunroof as I actually had water draining out of my passenger side dome light and right on the leather seat. The water also ran down the pillar and onto the floor. I'm going to call around tomorrow for estimates on resealing the sunroof. Hope you found your problem and a fix that you can share.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I just got my truck back from the dealer to repair this exact leak on the passenger side. $570.00 later no more leak. They had to partially remove the head liner and reseal around the roof rack. I will be doing the other side myself. Good luck. I hope this helps.
It seems the dealers don't get out of bed in the morning for anything less than $500. There seems to be a lot of posts about service bills being $500 or there abouts. Like the others, this seems a little steep for partially removing a headliner, clearing a tube and resealing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts