Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The plan is to use this thread as a discussion of How to use and program the Superchip's Flashpaq for Specific Commanders. Similar to the lift/tire thread, it would be nice to have a standard format. For instance provide your XK Year, Model, Engine, Lift/Tire size, and engine modifications if you have them.
My Commander: 2006 4.7L V8 with RR 2.25" lift and 255/75/17 tires

Click here for the Jeep Flashpaq Press Release. After time, we can track improvements in performance, gas mileage, towing, and off road use.

In the meantime, I will share my progress with the Flashpaq:
Came home to find my Flashpaq waiting, and was shocked when I opened the package - it was so small! About the same size as my iPod.

Anyways... I read the instructions, plugged it in, and got a message to recommending me to update the Flashpaq online. Note: After receiving this message, make sure you follow the instructions provided in the Superchips manual. You will need to continue following these instructions for the Flashpaq to learn and store your Commander's stock file

Simple enough, right? Well, not really. It didn't have the USB cable, but I was able to use one from my PS3, and it took awhile for the 'Easy update' software to download. Once I was registered, it took about 15 minutes to update the Flashpaq.
Tip #1 - Pre-download the Superchips Easy Update Software from their website. It is great to have ahead of time, and for future updates

After the stock file is uploaded to Superchips using their software, it is sent to their engineers

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After running the easy update and plugging the Flashpaq back in my Jeep, I ran through the two save settings, starting the third... it read a message on the screen that says something like "Please connect to the internet, this is not calibrated for your vehicle yet"... so I hooked it back up and went through the computer upgrades to see this
The calibration for your vehicle is not currently supported. Information about your vehicle has been sent to our engineers for analysis and you will be notified via e-mail when a calibration is available for your vehicle.- You may unplug your Programmer.
When you run the Easy update software for the first time, it doesnt neccesarily update the Flashpaq for your settings. In my case, the Superchips engineers had to write the update for my XK

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I can see why you would be upset. I am guessing that they did not meet the update/release deadline the way they had hoped. Also I notice we have not heard too much from Scott. Did you attempt to send him a PM? There has not been too much info from him in the Superchip thread lately.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That might be part of the reason for the delay in shipping too. Sounds like someone may have rushed a release date.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I notice we have not heard too much from Scott. Did you attempt to send him a PM? There has not been too much info from him in the Superchip thread lately.
Nope, no PMs, I know he hasn't been on here so I will just call tomorrow. I did put a post in the thread earlier though.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Nope, no PMs, I know he hasn't been on here so I will just call tomorrow. I did put a post in the thread earlier though.
I checked it out and his last activity was today at about 8:30am however his last post was on 3/12/09. My guess is that he is reading the posts but has no answers at this time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of just complaining of my current problems with the unit (it is new after all), I figured I would tell you some of the benefits. They include specific instructions for Jeep that are pretty helpful. Here are the Advanced Tuning options which the "Flashpaq automatically shows you the tunes available for your Jeep":
Power Levels
  • 93 Performance/Octane - Only available on JK models (for now) used for max hp, torque, and on/offroad drivability
  • 91 Performance/Octane - used for premium hp, torque, and on/offroad drivability for 2wd, 4wd hi and lo users
  • 87 Performance/octane - used for extra hp, torque, and on/offroad drivability for 2wd, 4wd hi and lo users
  • Towing - requires 91 octane or better for optimized towing under OEM size limits
  • Crawling Tune - low throttle response and high low-end torque tune (currently only for JK)
  • Economy Mileage XS Save - optimizes engine and transmission performance for better fuel economy - 87 octane recommended, 91 octane vehicles can use 87
Jeep Exclusive Features
  • Transfer case (gear) - corrects speedo, odometer, and auto shift points for transfer case gear changes
  • Axle Lock - locking axle in 4wd high (only XK listed is for 5.7 Hemi). If you go above 30 mph, it auto-disengages
  • Throttle Body Re-learn (late availability) -
  • Real time idle up - raises idle for takeoffs and running accessories
  • Spark advance set - for Jeeps with JTEC, changes spark timing
  • TPMS adjustments - readjust thresholds for dash light triggering
Other Common Flashpaq Features
(it automatically tells you what options are available when it recognizes your car)
  • Speed limiter -
  • Rev Limiter - adjust rev limiter by increments or fixed values
  • Tire Height - Calibrates for 22.5" - 42.0" in .5 increments, corrects speedo, odo, and auto-shift points
  • Axle ratio (gear) - All XK models gear ranges are 2.0 - 10.00 in .001 increments
  • Automatic Transmission Shift points -
  • Automatic Transmission Shift pressure - adjust PSI for more aggressive shifts
  • Cooling fan control - Adjust fan turn on temp
Other Calibration Options
  • Stock With Options - uses stock calibration but you can add user chosen options and settings, doesn't install engine and transmission calibrations
  • Factory Stock - Returns to stock to service vehicle
  • Transmission Only - for towing (don't know if you can use this on XK)
It also has an Engine Diagnostic tool to check and clear codes and can be setup to display and store performance improvement data.

As you can see, a ton of options and features... don't know what all are available at this point, but even more reason to collaborate. Too bad we don't have a wiki option on the forum (that I know of)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a problem from many on different sites, Superchips sold a module without the proper updates needed for our vehicles.
Another guy on SJ reported the same on his Hemi.
Although its unfortunate, I am glad I'm not the only one. Just got off the phone with Superchips and it appears that it isn't so much an issue with each year and both models (2006-2008 or 4.7L and 5.7L Hemi) because they have programs for all 3 years for both models, but that there are multiple calibrations for each model. Hard to follow, :huh: I apologize.

So for example, the calibration for my '06 4.7L is different from the ECU calibration on the '06 4.7L they used to write the program with. So it may be fine on some '06 4.7L models and others need a modified program like me.

Now that they have my calibration, it will take the engineers 5 - 7 days to write the program for my vehicle and I will automatically receive an alert when it is ready. So in this case, patience is virtue :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Although its unfortunate, I am glad I'm not the only one. Just got off the phone with Superchips and it appears that it isn't so much an issue with each year and both models (2006-2008 or 4.7L and 5.7L Hemi) because they have programs for all 3 years for both models, but that there are multiple calibrations for each model. Hard to follow, :huh: I apologize.

So for example, the calibration for my '06 4.7L is different from the ECU calibration on the '06 4.7L they used to write the program with. So it may be fine on some '06 4.7L models and others need a modified program like me.

Now that they have my calibration, it will take the engineers 5 - 7 days to write the program for my vehicle and I will automatically receive an alert when it is ready. So in this case, patience is virtue :rolleyes:
Did you have to send it back to them, or is it an update that you can just download?

I have been wondering if I will be in the same boat you are in with this. I have an early '06 model.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's good. It would be a waste of time having to send it off. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry that I have not posted in this thread earlier. Please PM me your tuner SN and I will personally look into it for you. If I can push it along any I will.

Scott

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
STILL waiting for the one I purchased over three weeks ago to be shiped from SuperChips to 4WheelParts.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Did they provide you with a receipt? Did your bank or CC get charged? Have you contacted them about the delay?

Scott
PM sent, I might need to cancel and start over.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts