Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my road test, I will update with additional posts as the trip progresses.

Date Miles Gallons Price MPG Notes

#1) 7/05/09 149.0 12.837 $3.02 11.6 Peoria AZ to Blythe CA Highyway @ 75 mph (92 Octane)

#2) 7/07/09 216.0 15.686 $2.86 13.8 Blythe CA to Pasadena CA @ 65 mph (91 Octane)

#3) 7/07/09 145.0 10.215 $2.84 14.2 Pasadena CA to Love's Truckstop #230 @ 65 mph (87 Octane)

#4) 7/08/09 236.0 17.173 $2.93 13.7 Truck Stop to Sacramento CA @ 65 mph (87 Octane)

For this test I locked in the cruise control upon entering the highway and left it alone until I exited the highway.

I filled the Commander in Peoria with 92 Octane fuel.

The first reading (#1) was OEM tires and the flashpaq set at factory settings. At 75 mph I received a mpg or 12.837

The second reading (#2) was the same set up but a reduced speed of 65 mph and I received 13.8 mpg, so I picked up 1 mpg by reducing my speed 10 miles per hour (no other adjustments were made)

Upon arriving in Pasadena California I set the Flashpaq for the 87 Octane setting and made no other changes. I filled up with 87 Octane prior to leaving town.

Reading #3 was from Pasadena California to a truck stop along I-5 where I stopped for fuel, at this point I was getting 14.2 mpg It was a little better than when I ran 91 Octane on the two previous tanks but not a major improvement. One interesting thing about this section of the trip is that I drove over the grape vine which is a pretty big hill for those unfamiliar with it, I got 38 mpg all the way down which certainly helped in the higher mpg that I show on this leg of the trip.

I filled up again in Sacramento with 87 octane fuel and discovered that I had gotten 13.7 mpg so it did not appear that the 87 v 91 octane setting had a significant increase in MPG, but what it did do was allow me to run a cheaper fuel with no lose to the overall mpg.

Prior to departing Sacramento I will be reprogramming the Commander for the next test and reporting on those gains if any.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Is there a reason that you have it setup for OEM tires. WOuldnt it be better to adjust for the size you are currently running? Or did I misunderstand you.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a reason that you have it setup for OEM tires. Wouldn't it be better to adjust for the size you are currently running? Or did I misunderstand you.
I put my OEM tires back on my Commander before I started on my trip. Since all my miles are going to be on the pavement I thought I would save the tread that is on my BFG's for Colorado.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I put my OEM tires back on my Commander before I started on my trip. Since all my miles are going to be on the pavement I thought I would save the tread that is on my BFG's for Colorado.
That makes sense.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arrived in Oregon today but did not stop for gas, I will fill up tomorrow and post update.

·
Registered
136 Posts
anymore updates?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, have to get my son's Eagle project finished and then I can input all my data, some real interesting results too.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it has taken me so long to get this information collected and entered into www.fuelly.com

Post # 1 shows my first 4 fill-ups but I am going to repeat the information so that it is all together in one place.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started my road test, I will update with additional posts as the trip progresses.

Date Miles Gallons Price MPG Notes

#1) 7/05/09 149.0 12.837 $3.02 11.6 Peoria AZ to Blythe CA Highyway @ 75 mph (92 Octane)

#2) 7/07/09 216.0 15.686 $2.86 13.8 Blythe CA to Pasadena CA @ 65 mph (91 Octane)

#3) 7/07/09 145.0 10.215 $2.84 14.2 Pasadena CA to Love's Truckstop #230 @ 65 mph (87 Octane)

#4) 7/08/09 236.0 17.173 $2.93 13.7 Truck Stop to Sacramento CA @ 65 mph (87 Octane)

For this test I locked in the cruise control upon entering the highway and left it alone until I exited the highway.

I filled the Commander in Peoria with 92 Octane fuel.

The first reading (#1) was OEM tires and the flashpaq set at factory settings. At 75 mph I received a mpg or 12.837

The second reading (#2) was the same set up but a reduced speed of 65 mph and I received 13.8 mpg, so I picked up 1 mpg by reducing my speed 10 miles per hour (no other adjustments were made)

Upon arriving in Pasadena California I set the Flashpaq for the 87 Octane setting and made no other changes. I filled up with 87 Octane prior to leaving town.

Reading #3 was from Pasadena California to a truck stop along I-5 where I stopped for fuel, at this point I was getting 14.2 mpg It was a little better than when I ran 91 Octane on the two previous tanks but not a major improvement. One interesting thing about this section of the trip is that I drove over the grape vine which is a pretty big hill for those unfamiliar with it, I got 38 mpg all the way down which certainly helped in the higher mpg that I show on this leg of the trip.

I filled up again in Sacramento with 87 octane fuel and discovered that I had gotten 13.7 mpg so it did not appear that the 87 v 91 octane setting had a significant increase in MPG, but what it did do was allow me to run a cheaper fuel with no lose to the overall mpg.

Prior to departing Sacramento I will be reprogramming the Commander for the next test and reporting on those gains if any.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first four fill-ups were in the "87 Octane" setting and ranged from 11.6 mpg to 14.2 mpg with an average of 13.3 mpg

I then changed the setting to the "mileage XS" setting for the remainder of the first portion of my road trip. During this portion I filled up a total of 8 times and had a range from 13.0 mpg to 15.2 mpg with an overall average of 14.0 mpg

It would appear that the "mileage XS" mode increased my mpg by at least .7 mpg which then ended up saving me a little bit of money which was the desired effect.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The next portion of my trip was from Phoenix to Silverton Colorado and we were pulling a trailer so I set the FlashPaq in the "Tow" mode.

While in this mode I filled up with fuel a total of four times with a range of 8.0 mpg to 12.3 mpg for an average of 10.75 mpg which was pretty good considering I was pulling a trailer over some pretty big mountains and hills.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The next portion was while traveling around Silverton and doing our off road trips, during these three fill-ups I was set in the "Off-Road" mode and had an average of 8.5 mpg which I felt was acceptable considering the kind of driving that we were doing.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last portion of the trip was back in the "Tow" mode and I had four fill-ups between Silverton and topping off at home. The average on this leg of the trip was 11.9 mpg so I did better coming home then going out to Colorado.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
The last portion of the trip was back in the "Tow" mode and I had four fill-ups between Silverton and topping off at home. The average on this leg of the trip was 11.9 mpg so I did better coming home then going out to Colorado.
Phoenix to Silverton...increasing elevation.
Silverton to Phoenix...decreasing elevation - Down Hill probably helped overall. :stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Phoenix to Silverton...increasing elevation.
Silverton to Phoenix...decreasing elevation - Down Hill probably helped overall. :stickpoke:
Excellent observation. Phoenix is about 1,200 feet and Silverton is around 12,000 feet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Excellent info, now I just wish I can get a comparo between AEV Module and Superchips Flashpaq. Hopefully, software will be released for the 09 Hemi before next summer!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is there a reason why you are getting very low MPG's besides the speed? i drive 4.5 hrs to St Louis from Chicago every second week and even tho the speed limit is 65, i drive 60 to keep at 1500 RPM's which results 21.7 MPG. and that's with 33'' MTR's
Not bragging in anyway FYI.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a reason why you are getting very low MPG's besides the speed? i drive 4.5 hrs to St Louis from Chicago every second week and even tho the speed limit is 65, i drive 60 to keep at 1500 RPM's which results 21.7 MPG. and that's with 33'' MTR's
Not bragging in anyway FYI.
Might be because you are driving a more aerodynamic vehicle? What motor do you have? I am assumeing your driving your WK which I would guess weights less than an XK. Not really sure, just guessing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you notice any performance gains in the S.O.T.P. dyno? As in did you notice the vehicle felt faster off the line after using the FlashPaq?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you notice any performance gains in the S.O.T.P. dyno? As in did you notice the vehicle felt faster off the line after using the FlashPaq?
No, The Hemi with the CAI and Gibson exhaust is great, I saw better MPG but not sure I would notice any S.O.T.P. reaction. It does have a power mode but I have not tried playing with it yet however.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts